don't know how to fix it

when my friend tried to set up the environment, he used auto_remove. Seems like a lot of things went wrong after this command. Can only use the terminal w/o UI now. i found the nvidia-installer shell in one folder and run it. Following the instruction. i rebooted it. Then the following errors showed up

1. failed to start load Kernel modules
  2. mmcblk1:error -110 transferring data, sector 98311, nr 1, cmd respons 0x900, card status 0x0
    buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk1p2, logical block 0, sync page read
    random: crng init done
    ranom: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to rate limiting

after clicking enter, im in this directory root@tegra-ubuntu

i’m a newbie. If anyone could help me with this that would be great. If there is a service station that i can mail it to, it could be very helpful as well. Thank you.

Hi zychang,

I think the fastest way to restore it is try to re-flash your device with sdkmanager.

If ubuntu GUI disappears, you could try to re-install it with sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop.

However, these two errors look not good,so I think re-flash may be the better way.

1. failed to start load Kernel modules
  2. mmcblk1:error -110 transferring data, sector 98311, nr 1, cmd respons 0x900, card status 0x0

Thank you Wayne.I just read the instruction on the sdkmanager site. Seems like i do need a linux host in order to flash my devices? is there anyway that i could do it with a standalone Xavier? Thanks again.

Embedded systems do not have a BIOS, and thus cannot self flash. Basically, if you put the Jetson in recovery mode, then it becomes a custom USB device. The only driver which understands this custom device (which happens to be called the “driver package”) runs on Linux (and the GUI specifically requires Ubuntu…which happens to be a front end to the driver package during flash).

Some people use a VM, but it isn’t officially supported. If the VM is not properly set up such that the custom USB device always goes straight to the VM without interference from the parent o/s it won’t flash correctly (during flash USB disconnects and reconnects several times).