Drawing figures for your CUDA papers

Since many of us are using CUDA for academic research, I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions of a tool used to drawing diagrams for technical figures (arrows, circles, directed graphs, etc) for their papers.

Since many of us are using CUDA for academic research, I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions of a tool used to drawing diagrams for technical figures (arrows, circles, directed graphs, etc) for their papers.

Adobe Illustrator is very good for complex diagrams… but it has a steep learning curve. It can do anything.

For simple diagrams, I admit sometimes I use the much simpler drawing tools in presentation software (Powerpoint, etc) which are quick to use for simple labeled boxes and flowcharts and such.

Inbetween, I’ve also used Dia.

Adobe Illustrator is very good for complex diagrams… but it has a steep learning curve. It can do anything.

For simple diagrams, I admit sometimes I use the much simpler drawing tools in presentation software (Powerpoint, etc) which are quick to use for simple labeled boxes and flowcharts and such.

Inbetween, I’ve also used Dia.

Because I work with LaTeX most of the time, I like LatexDraw for that sort of stuff.

Because I work with LaTeX most of the time, I like LatexDraw for that sort of stuff.

That’s awesome! I somehow never learned about this before.

That’s awesome! I somehow never learned about this before.

MS Word! It has a lot! Most conferences support both Word and Latex.

Depending on whether you like to think in ‘C’ or ‘C++’, you could either use “Word” or “Latex”

MS Word! It has a lot! Most conferences support both Word and Latex.

Depending on whether you like to think in ‘C’ or ‘C++’, you could either use “Word” or “Latex”

Latex has very strong recommendations from most people i know.

I’ve tried using a suite of windows office programs before with large documents and linked images from ex visio, as I expected it was a disaster.

Latex has a steeper learning curve but is very modular to document changes.

Latex has very strong recommendations from most people i know.

I’ve tried using a suite of windows office programs before with large documents and linked images from ex visio, as I expected it was a disaster.

Latex has a steeper learning curve but is very modular to document changes.

LaTeX + version control system == collaboration heaven.

LaTeX + version control system == collaboration heaven.

OmniGraffle (mac only) works well too :)

OmniGraffle (mac only) works well too :)

inkscape - http://inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

inkscape - http://inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

I second this. I rarely make diagrams for which I need something more powerful than powerpoint. You can export to many formats (I usually use pdf) that you can then include in the latex. When I do need something more powerful, I use inkscape.

I second this. I rarely make diagrams for which I need something more powerful than powerpoint. You can export to many formats (I usually use pdf) that you can then include in the latex. When I do need something more powerful, I use inkscape.