driver 195.36.15 problem nvidia0 doesn't exist

I have a Fedora 10 with a Tesla 1060 and a Quadro FX 1700.

I decided to install the latest driver (195.36.15) and toolkit that come with CUDA 3.0.

The first time I tried to install them I got the message
ERROR: File ‘/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so’ is not a symbolic link
during the installation of the driver. I just clicked ok and the driver seemed that it got installed. However, after rebooting with X on, the deviceQuery didn’t work and I was getting the message the nvidia0 could not be found. I checked /dev/ and nvidia1 and nvidiactl were there, but not nvidia0.

I thought that that error message might had caused the problem, so I reinstalled the same drivers and this time I didn’t get any error messages and the installation worked fine. However, the problem persisted. I tried the drivers 195.17-beta (that comes with CUDA 3.0 beta) but I had the same problem.

Now I returned back to the drivers 190.18 (distributed with CUDA 2.3) and everything works fine.

Any ideas why might this happened with the new drivers (I had never had problems installing drivers before).

thanks!

Sorry no idea, but I got the same problem on Ubuntu 9.10.

Fell back to 190.53.

Just to add a data point to the discussion: installing 195.36.15 on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine appeared to work, but when I started up the X server I was faced with a black screen. Reboots didn’t help. Then I tried reinstalling the driver, and this time it worked. My card is a GeForce 9800 GT.

Just to add a data point to the discussion: installing 195.36.15 on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine appeared to work, but when I started up the X server I was faced with a black screen. Reboots didn’t help. Then I tried reinstalling the driver, and this time it worked. My card is a GeForce 9800 GT.

An update: but when I recompiled my opencl code against cuda toolkit 3.0 for 32 bit Ubuntu 9.04 and tried to run it, I got back -33 (invalid device). I regressed to 190.29, and the same code works fine now.

An update: but when I recompiled my opencl code against cuda toolkit 3.0 for 32 bit Ubuntu 9.04 and tried to run it, I got back -33 (invalid device). I regressed to 190.29, and the same code works fine now.