Driver incompatibility(?) on Ubuntu 11.04

The Nouveau driver is very resilient. It has to be completely uninstall with the apt-get and some times also to have the modules blacklisted.

[font=“Arial Black”]Hi, giogovick helped me, I thank him. I found a guide that too helped me http://wiki.accelereyes.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_CUDA_Under_Ubuntu_10.04, in fact I added the following list in the file as suggested. But when I installed the driver NVIDIA the installation it conflicts with nouveau. The forums on the web suggest of disable nouveau as here. How disable nouveau by terminal (the console)??Help me!![/font]

Maybe this helps sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia - Community Help Wiki)

[b]Hi, I believe to have disabled nouveau because I installs successfully the driver Nvidia. But when I reboot the laptop the screen is black and appeared the following text:

starting restore sound card (s’) mixer state (s) fail

I resolves whit link [Risolto] [Audio] starting restore sound card (s') mixer state (s) fail • Forum Ubuntu-it

I reboot

and instead appeared the following test: PulseAudio configured for per-user session saned disable edit /etc/deflaut/saned

I resolved enable saned following the procedure by http://chiralsoftware.com/blog/Linux-network-scanning-with-saned-9404a25b8342ba4e.html

I reboot and appeared also *PulseAudio configured for per-user session, then X is not start. You have suggestions to solve this problem?Haven’t you this problem??[/b]

Well, the last post is quite old, so might be resolved, but just in case…

To know if nouveau is loaded do a

lsmod

I did have problems with nouveau on a fedora distro as well. Even blacklisted on modules.d and X11 driver removed, it would still be loaded on boot.

I solved the problem following the steps to change grub boot, as mentioned here, specially the part of setting the variable ‘vga’. Although, in my case, even with nouveau loaded X still worked with nvidia driver.

Hope it helps ane one with similar problems.

Diogo