Driver installation problem? some functions work, but gpu not seen

Fresh install. Debian 10 Buster, RTX 2070 Super, Amd Ryzen 9 9350X.
Tried 12 different ways of installing the drivers for this card until one partially worked. Fresh Debian installation each time. What works: screen comes up and in graphics mode; X utility works and shows everything working; nvtop reports: device 0, pcie Gen 1@16x, Rx and Tx working, GPU 700/375 MHz, mem 405 MHz, Temp 41C, Fan 0%, Pow 12 / 215 (lightly loaded at the moment), GPU 10-25%, mem 0.2G/8.4G; concerned tasks cinnamon --replace and firefox-esr.
That’s all well and good but nvidia-detect says: Device detected nvidia gpus: 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nc Device [10de:1e84] rev a1
Checking card: Uh oh. Your card is not supported by any driver version up to 418.74. Newer driver releases…
And I did load the driver from buster-backports and it’s version 440.something.

What is not working is the GPU for BOINC work and it’s not even being seen as a GPU apparently. Yes, I loaded the boincGPU package.

Unigine Heaven and Valley give about 25 FPS at 4k, and 75 FPS at 1440p.

How do I get (or test?) the GPU functionality, please? How do I get it to work with BOINC or anything else numeric?

You’re simply using an older nvidia-detect which doesn’t know your card and any driver newer than 418. Just ignore its output.
For BOINC, it depends on if you’re using OpenCL or CUDA.

I can change OpenCL / CUDA operation?
I’m using an RTX 2070 Super.