Electro-Static Discharge about Jetson Xavier NX

Hi,

I have the problem of ESD(electro-static discharge) for USB3.1 device mode of Jetson Xavier NX.
When I test ESD, USB state of kernel level becomes disconnected state.
After few seconds, automatically USB state becomes connected state.
My circuit have suppressors for super-speed lines and USB2.0 lines and CC1/2 lines.

My questions are as below.
Q1:Does Jetson Xavier NX have ESD problem like my problem?
Q2:Could you tell me solutions for my problem?

Best Regards

Like most computers you do need external ESD, e.g., a surge suppressor. However, I have personally seen how many different computers (including multiple desktop PCs) will reboot or have other errors if a large static jolt hits the USB peripheral even on systems which have power delivery surge protectors. I am only guessing, but my thought on those systems in the past is that a second ground directly at the USB connector might stop the issue if the surge is going through the ground/shield of the USB cable, but probably not if something inside the actual peripheral is conducting to the non-ground/non-shield of the cable.

As an experiment you can find out if a static surge to a bare USB cable causes issues, or if the issue is only when a specific device has a static discharge to it. In all test cases having power through a surge protector would be mandatory for the test to be valid, but a surge protector on the power side is itself generally a requirement for anything in regular use.

I do know that the USB power line itself (the +5V) has some protection in it, but it is geared to overcurrent, and not to static surge.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.