Electronically Assisted Astronomy with a Jetson Nano

Hello everybody,

Next week, i will get my new camera (Sony IMX485 colour sensor). I hope i made a good choice. THis sensor will bring some improvements with RAW captures. If RAW captures are better, treatment will be more useful.

No time to work on my software but i made a small sky survey yesterday :

Next year, i will be able to use my telescope (Celestron C9.25) and i will continue my work with colours of the Moon and deep sky objects real time video. I will start to really use my software and test my filters for real. With those tests, i will be able to adapt my filters (or create new ones) with more serious test conditions.

Alain

An other video from the last session.

This time, i was able to catch Cosmos 2485 from Glonass system.
Angular speed is really slow because this satellite is 19000km above us, much higher than low altitude satellites.
The rotation time is about 30s (blinking phenomena).

That’s all !

Bye.

Alain

1 Like

Hello,

my new camera has arrived home !

A picture to compare my old camera sensor (Sony IMX178) with my new camera sensor (Sony IMX485) :

And my new camera with the 8mm F/D 1.3 Cmount lens :

The camera works with usual acquisition software like Firecapture or Sharpcap. It also work with my personal software (JetsonSky). Just have to make some small modifications of my software and hunt for ZWO library bugs. So, nothing to expect in the coming days. Those days will be debug days.

That’s all for now.

Clear sky.

Alain

1 Like

Hello,

here is the very first test of my new ASI485MC camera :

I must say IMX485 sensor is much better than IMX178 sensor. Noise management is much better, sensitivity is very good, etc. This helps a lot to get better RAW video. Therefore, the treatments result is better.

Alain

1 Like

Second test, using this time my Canon FD 50mm F/D 1.4

I did not use IRCut filter. This means the sky is too bright. With an IRCut filter, it should be darker.

The Sony IMX485 sensor is very promising.

I will have to change my software filters setup (at least adaptative absorber denoise filter) because the noise i get with IMX485 is much lower than IMX178.

Something really interesting : as the noise is now much lower, my denoise routine gives a very clean video AND my algorithm dedicated to amplify stars (and only stars, not the background ; this is not as simple as we could think) works really great : i can see much more stars with very good sharpness.

This means it is really important to get as good RAW signal as possible to be able to get very good treatments. Bad RAW signal will bring bad treatments results.

An other important thing : i DO NOT use AI (and this means my work is not “so cool !”) but there is a good reason for that. I work on “real signal” to clean it and “amplify” it. I don’t invent a supposed signal.

Have a nice day.

Alain