Electronically Assisted Astronomy with a Jetson Nano

Hello everyone,

my software JetsonSky can be upload on Github :

For now, there are still issues i will solve but the software works quite fine.

It is Jetson SBC version.

Later, i will provide a PC Windows 10/11 version (for sure, you will need a NVIDIA GPU) and a version which won’t need camera (the software will be able to make some existing video treatment).

I will be back soon.

Alain

I have released the PC version (sorry Jetson family).

You can find it here :

Alain

Thank a lot.
Thomas

Hello,

I have uploaded a new version of JetsonSky which is dedicated to video treatment only. This means you don’t have to get a camera. You will only need a video which will be used by the software to make treatments.

2 versions :

• in the main Github directory : Jeston version :
  • in the Windows directory : Windows 10/11 version (quite the same as Jetson version).

Alain

1 Like

I have uploaded on Github new version of JetsonSky (camera version) which is now 12.01 version

Some bugs have been removed.

Both versions (Jetson Linux and PC Windows).

Alain

1 Like

Looking forward to test it, I‘m back home on Thursday.
Again great work and thanks for publishing.

1 Like

Hello,

i have uploaded a new version of JetsonSky (V12_02) for both Linux and Windows, camera control versions.

The changes :
Line 41, i have added a variable to set the main windows font size. I guess the good value is about 5 to 7, depending of your system. You will have to manually set the good value in the software.
I have added support of ZWO ASI224MC, ASI290MC and ASI290MM cameras. I don’t have those cameras so i am unable to test the changes.

Alain

1 Like

For those who would like to test the “Treatment only” version of JetsonSky (so, no need a camera), you can download some test videos here :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12MwQy9gsDwokq4Wo8hoSrxhIrVWq5CUS?usp=sharing

Alain

2 Likes

I have upload a pdf file in Github to explain the settings you have in the main window of JetsonSky.

Alain

1 Like

I’m trying hard to get it running. I have a question. I the ASI SDK needed to install?
Thanks.

Tom

Hello Tom,

in fact, the ZWO SDK is the library which is in The Lib directory. You just have to create this directory and copy the ZWO library. You will also have to install ZWO rules.

Alain

Some informations about ZWO camera drivers :

If you use a Windows 10/11 PC, you will need ZWO ASI camera driver installed on your computer (as i said previously, see below).

If you use Linux system (such as Nvidia Jetson SBC or x64 system under Linux), yu won’t need ZWO ASI camera driver. You will need ZWO SDK for Linux which is in the Lib directory. You will alsso need to instal asi.rules (which is in Lib directory). To install those rules, just do :

$ sudo install asi.rules /lib/udev/rules.d
or
$ sudo install asi.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

Just check where the rules are to see which version of the command you need.

Alain

Yesterday, i made a new test with the Canon FD50mm F1.4, the colour camera and the Jetson AGX Orin.

By the end of the year, i will try to get a new lens (F0.95, 35 or 50mm focal lens). If i can build an adapter to plug the lens on my camera, the results will be really improved.

It is very noisy but the treatment makes miracles. Don’t forget my purpose is to make live videos, not to make pictures. That’s why it is really hard to retrieve small signals.

Alain

A last video : colours of the stars.

An easy way to show the colours of the stars :

Alain

Hi Alain,
I’m trying hard to setup my nano and at least bring your awesome piece of software to life. I have seen that you are so present in many astro discussion boards to interest the people for your great work.
I would not annoy you in any way and for now I was trying to get the things running without help.
But maybe it would be nice to get some litte help (or more explicit) installation instructions for linux dummies like me.
I make a protocol of my installation process and will show it here to show my success or my failure.

I don’t want to have an heavy instruction with all little steps (for now), but a list of the important steps with little instruction would make it a lot easier for someone (like me).

Thanks a lot for all.
Tom

Hello Tom,

yes, it is always a bit hard to install “something” on a Linux system. To be honest, i am a real newbie with Linux and its very strange command lines like "sudo apt install somethingstrange --user --idontunderstandasingleworld

It would be really great if you could get some useful step by step or howto for JetsonSky installation. We will include your work in the Github readme.

Anyway, if you have some severe issues, just tell me. I will try to help but as i am one of the worst Linux user in the known universe, i am not sure i will be able to help you ! But you are welcome here for sure.

Alain

Something useful to make my software work with Jetson SBC and PyCuda :

JetsonSky use Python libraries and PyCuda is the one who can bring you some difficulties.

To install PyCuda, here is a command line you should try (many thanks to jaybdub) :

sudo pip3 install --global-option=build_ext --global-option="-I/usr/local/cuda/include" --global-option="-L/usr/local/cuda/lib64" pycuda

Alain

Here is my workflow – look down

Hello Tom,

for not high end Linux user, software setting is something really hard. I spent hours to make my first Jetson Nano setup ! It was really hard for me.

We find (too) many informations on the internet and it is hard to know what works and what does not work.

First, i recommend to avoid Youtube lessons and try to find serious internet websites to catch useful informations.

It is important to go step by step and take time to find the good informations.

From what i can remember and considering some quick search on the net :

With JetPack 4.6.1, you will get :

CUDA 10.2
OpenCV 4.1.1

From what i can remember, Python version is 3.6

So, you already have Python3, CUDA and OpenCV. That’s a good start.

No need to install newer version of OpenCV for now.

First :

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Then :

sudo apt install python3-pip
python3 -m pip install --upgrade pip

sudo apt-get install python3-dev libpython3-dev

sudo apt install python3-numpy

python3 -m pip install --upgrade Pillow

Concerning PyCuda :

sudo pip3 install pycuda --user

or

sudo pip3 install --global-option=build_ext --global-option=“-I/usr/local/cuda/include” --global-option=“-L/usr/local/cuda/lib64” pycuda

For the last command line, you will have to check the CUDA directory :

It could be :
/usr/local/cuda
so the command line will be : sudo pip3 install --global-option=build_ext --global-option=“-I/usr/local/cuda/include” --global-option=“-L/usr/local/cuda/lib64” pycuda

or
/usr/local/cuda-10.2 (or /usr/local/cuda-10.0 if CUDA 10.0 is installed on your computer for example)
so the command line will be : sudo pip3 install --global-option=build_ext --global-option=“-I/usr/local/cuda-10.2/include” --global-option=“-L/usr/local/cuda-10.2/lib64” pycuda

If you have a problem with nvcc : no such file ; this means you have a problem with PATH.

You can use this command to verify your PATH :

echo $PATH

It will display your PATH. If CUDA paths are not displayed, you will have to add them.

You will have to modify your PATH variable parmanently. There is several methods to do that. I have to chack which method i used for AGX Orin. I will be back as soon as possible.

You can try this :

export PATH=/usr/local/cuda/bin:${PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda/lib64:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Or :

export PATH=/usr/local/cuda-10.2/bin:${PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda-10.2/lib64:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Just tell me the issues you still have. We will find solutions for sure.

Alain

1 Like

Many thanks, I will work through your list and will start from scratch. I’ll give my feedback later.