Electronically Assisted Astronomy with a Jetson Nano

Hello,

i used Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter pictures of the Moon with my map of the Moon’s soils colors. The result is quite interesting according to me.

In this picture, we have the Apollo 15 landing site :

In this other picture, we have Apollo 11 landing site (lower right part of the picture) :

Those pictures give an idea of the complexity of the geology of the Moon.

Colors were get with final treatment using JetsonSky software.

Colors give an idea of the composition of the soils, mainly metallic oxides like titanium and iron.

Alain

A comparison between the result i get with LROC data and my data (base map with my Celestron C9.25 monochrome capture of the Moon) :

Alain

An example of step by step treatment of a Jupiter video with JetsonSky and the AGX Orin :

Really simple if you get the right tool.

Alain

1 Like

Hello,

i have uploaded a new version of JetsonSky (V40_20RC). Minor changes.

This version prevent an error with Windows version if you get the wrong GStreamer PATH in the lines 40 to 42.

Alain

1 Like

Hello,

i have released a new version of JetsonSky : V40_21RC

• removed some bugs
  • added a checkbox (upper right control part) to reverse Red and Blue channels (Reverse R-B). It can be useful some times.

Alain

2 Likes

New version released in Github. V40_22RC.

Bugs fixed.

Alain

Hello,

small things about the colors fo the Moon’s soils.

Images from Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter probe, Wide Angle Camera. Treatment with JetsonSky.

The Far and the Near sides of the Moon :

The full size picture is 16000x8000 pixels.

It is fast process. I will make better process later.

Alain

That makes me want augmented reality goggles for real time viewing of everything (but especially the night sky). Beautiful work!

Hello linuxdev,

how do you do ?

Augmented reality to see what eyes can’t see would be really cool. For example, adding UV information in RGB information is really amazing. Looking at flowers with extra UV bandwidth is something really cool and beautiful.

But i don’t think Google or some one else will do this. Not enough money friendly.

As for me, i will stop my work about colours of the Moon. I can’t go further without external support and i can’t find one. It was a beautiful experience and 8 years of tests, from the very beginning to now. I just have to find an other goal now. I have time to think about that.

Have a nice day.

Alain

1 Like

What you did resulted in some wonderful work though. I’m glad I got to see some of it. Too bad a university or an organization like NASA isn’t stepping up. They have their own goals though, so I guess a lot of good luck would be involved.

1 Like

Oh yes ! Many good luck would have been required !

Now, I wait for beautiful nights. Here in Brittany, the weather is really bad. When you can get a very beautiful night, it’s really cool. It’s great when you set up your telescope and all the things which are related to. Observations and capture sessions give you very cool, relaxing and interesting time. Except if it’s very cold weather for sure.

Jupiter time is coming. I hope I will get some good nights with low turbulence. Just have to wait to see.

Alain

1 Like

Hi,

I think JetsonSky V40_22RC won’t be update for some time. It is quite stable and I have no plan for now to make a new version.

I need to make real work with this version to see if it is ok with my needs or if it needs some modifications.

So, nothing new will come here for months.

Alain

1 Like

Hello,

nothing new. I need to make some real conditions tests but here, the weather is bad for weeks ! Not a single acceptable night since July.

I made some software updates for Jetson Xavier NX and i tried last version of JetsonSky with Xavier NX. It seems it’s ok, even with Cupy and TorchVision.

If the weather conditions gets better on day, maybe i will be able to make some sky captures and bring some JetsonSky improvements, depending of the tests results.

Alain

Hello,

i have uploaded a new version of JetsonSky : V40_23RC.

Some small bugs removed and some changes in color saturation enhancement management.

Be sure to use latest ZWO SDK if you want to manage a camera. You can find it here :

If you have Windows system and if you have installed GStreamer, check JetsonSky lines 40-41 to set the good GStreamer paths.

That’s all.

Alain

1 Like

Hi,

made some quick test yesterday, before the clouds came back.

I noticed some small bugs i corrected in a new version of JetsonSky (V40_25RC).

Still here :

Alain

1 Like

The only video i made yesterday “before” the clouds.

Poor summer here. Very hard to make tests on the sky.

Alain

1 Like

Hello,

new test yesterday. No clouds and a few hours left before Moon rise.

A test video with very large field (8mm lens) and large field (50mm lens) on the Milky Way :

I also saw a Starlink train. A big problem for astronomy and astrophotography :

The results are interesting even with not so bright lens. F0.95 or F0.85 lens would be much better but hard to find and to get.

The sky quality is a problem i can’t really solve. Our sky is getting worst. We have to deal with that.

Alain

1 Like

Normally one would use the kind of filters you are interested in to remove noise and filter out the unwanted. It makes me curious though about what the opposite would demonstrate. Think of the cosmic microwave background radiation map, but instead using visual light. Now move the camera around, learn what is from stars, and perhaps from the “non-perfect” sensor noise. Subtract those out. Looking only at the starless night, I wonder if maps of the noise over time would reveal anything. Maybe useful in pointing out light pollution? Or just see if it looks artistic (it could be color enhanced)?

2 Likes

Hi Linuxdev,

You have many cool ideas! Such experiment would need accurate calibration of the sensor (in fact, the all acquisition system). Quite complicated for me.
I saw some informations about JWT and if the theory of this telescope is quite simple, the problems they had to solve to make JWT work were really complicated.

Devil is in details, unfortunately!

Alain

1 Like

Hello,

it is time to make a brief summary about JetsonSky install.

JetsonSky can be found here :

Now, JetsonSky can manage :

• camera (ZWO)

ASI178MC, ASI178MM, ASI178MM Pro
    ASI224MC
    ASI290MC, ASI290MM
    ASI294MC, ASI294MM, ASI294MC Pro, ASI294MM Pro
    ASI385MC
    ASI462MC
    ASI482MC
    ASI485MC, ASI585MC
    ASI662MC
    ASI678MC
    ASI1600MC, ASI1600MM

• videos

• images

You will find in this repository :
JetsonSky_V40_18RC_INFOS.pdf (short manual of JetsonSky functions)
JetsonSky_V30_03RC.py (old version using PyCuda; no ore support)
JetsonSky_V40_XXRC (supported version using Cupy)

Lib directory :
Libraries from ZWO SDK (Windows and Linux)

zwoasi directory :
Python binding to ZWO libraries (camera)

zwoefw directory :
Python binding to ZWO libraries (filter wheel)

Place all those files and directory in you work directory. You will have to also create 2 directories :
Videos
Images

Jetson SBC install :

You will have to know which version of CUDA you have.

You will have to install those Python libraries :
numpy
PILLOW
Cupy
Opencv (with or without Cuda extension)
Pytorch and TorchVision (optional)

To install Cupy, just visit this website :

You will probably have to upgrade scipy :

pip install -U scipy

To install Pytorch TorchVision, just go there :

In the Lib directory, you will find two files :
asi.rules
efw.rules

Just make this commands :
sudo install asi.rules /lib/udev/rules.d
or
sudo install asi.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

sudo install efw.rules /lib/udev/rules.d
or
sudo install efw.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

From what i can remember, everything is done. JetsonSky must work.

And now…

Windows system install :

You will have to install Python :

I use Python 3.11 and it works fine (do not use beta version or RC versions of Python)

Python will install PIP on you Windows system

You will have to install CUDA :

You will have to install those Python libraries :
numpy
PILLOW
Cupy
Opencv (with or without Cuda extension)
Pytorch and TorchVision (optional)

You will have to use Windows PowerShell to do this and type for example :

pip install numpy
or
pip install opencv

To install Cupy, just look here :

To install Pytorch TorchVision, just look here :

You can install GSTreamer if you need it :

https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/

To be honest, i don’t know if we need to install Microsoft Visual Studio in order to get a C++ compiler. I should say no but not sure.

No need to install asi.rules and efw.rules for Windows system.

I think there is nothing more to do.

Good luck !

Alain