Error 5 during flashing

Hardware Platform: DRIVE AGX Xavier™ Developer Kit
Software Version: DRIVE Software 9 → DRIVE Software 10
Host Machine Version: native Ubuntu 18.04.04 LTS
SDK Manager Version: 1.0.1.6343
Bord HW Ver: T194-A/B CHIP REV.A02 BR:03 | E3550: 699-63550-0001-500 C RW0

i have problems to upgrade our ATX from Software 9 to 10. I get following error messages in the SDK Manager:

12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : Flashing for Partition B_mts-preboot (Size: 23968 bytes, Time: 1.268 seconds)
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : 14% doneFlashing for Partition B_mts-mce (Size: 140048 bytes, Time: 1.763 seconds)
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : Flashing for Partition B_mts-bootpack 15% done 16% done 17% donerm: cannot remove '/home/dspace/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation/tools/host/flashtools/bootburn_t19x/_temp_dump/_temp_dump_uRNbgXnnLs/flash-images': Directory not empty
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel :
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : Flashing process exited with error 5
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : Error in flashing!
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : pdkinstaller cannot continue! Check the log file for details: /home/dspace/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/pdkinstaller/pdkinstaller.log
12:57:13 ERROR : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c cd pdkinstaller && ./pdkinstaller --installtype bindflash --boardtype ES --pdkinstalledpath /home/dspace/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS --configjson ./manifests/install_pdk_config/av_ddp_pegasus_hyp71_linux_tegraAB_install_config.json --consoleout enable; [error]: exit status 144
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : [ 596.05 MB used. Disk Avail: 78.58 GB ]
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : [ NV_FLASH_XAVIER_PDKFLASH_PARALLEL_COMP Install took 14m34s ]
12:57:13 ERROR : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : [error]: Run commands failed at step Install: command cd pdkinstaller && ./pdkinstaller --installtype bindflash --boardtype ES --pdkinstalledpath /home/dspace/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS --configjson ./manifests/install_pdk_config/av_ddp_pegasus_hyp71_linux_tegraAB_install_config.json --consoleout enable finished with error
12:57:13 INFO : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel :
12:57:13 ERROR : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : command terminated with error
12:57:14 ERROR : Flash Xavier A+B in parallel : Install 'Flash Xavier A+B in parallel' failure, command < using adapter to install NV_FLASH_XAVIER_PDKFLASH_PARALLEL_COMP@DDPX to /home/dspace/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX > terminated with error.
12:57:15 INFO : All done!

pdkinstaller.log (571.5 KB)
NV_FLASH_XAVIER_PDKFLASH_PARALLEL_COMP.log (109.2 KB)

as i browsed through the logfiles i found this in
~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation/tools/host/flashtools/bootburn_t19x/_temp_dump

Platform version 7.0
supports 262144 Bytes MAX_PAYLOAD
This build is for NVIDIA embedded bootburn
Build time : May 16 2017 01:26:13
serial number to adb : 2P10U341O000004VV0M0
Could not find a device online

command options used = -b e3550b03-t194 -B qspi -x /dev/ttyUSB3 --updtcfga gos1-fs:dirname:/home/dspace/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-linux/targetfs_a --updtcfgb gos1-fs:dirname:/home/dspace/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-linux/targetfs_b -w

------------ Stack Trace ------------
stack frame 0 - 329 AbnormalTermination /home/.../nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation/tools/host/flashtools/bootburn_t19x/bootburn_lib.sh
stack frame 1 - 48 CheckUSBServiceInit /home/.../nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation/tools/host/flashtools/bootburn_t19x/bootburn_adb.sh
stack frame 2 - 2942 FlashImages /home/.../nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation/tools/host/flashtools/bootburn_t19x/bootburn_lib.sh
stack frame 3 - 404 source /home/.../nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation/tools/host/flashtools/bootburn_t19x/bootburn_active.sh
stack frame 4 - 1270 main /home/.../nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation//tools/host/flashtools/bootburn_t19x/bootburn.sh
-------------------------------------

Tool OutPut:
Bus 003 Device 022: ID 0955:7100 NVidia Corp. Tegra Device
Tool OutPut to stderr:
Bus 003 Device 022: ID 0955:7100 NVidia Corp. Tegra Device
error-adb-timeout

TegraALog_eRLt6PSxDk.log (19.1 KB) TegraBLog_j1nYCd5EAc.log (24.0 KB)

Hi @mspilker,

Please help to follow “Software Setup on the Linux Host” doc to get the serial log of Xavier A (/dev/ttyUSB2) of the flashing issue. We would like to check the log to understand the problem. Thanks!

Hi @VickNV,

thanks for replying. I tried following steps to gain the serial log: (in short where is the file located on Xavier A?)

1. run the flash process in the sdkmanager until it run into error 5
  2. Followed the doc and set USB2 to default
  3. Followed the 3.1 Reporting Flashing Issues guide and failed at point 4 with, because i didn’t know were the log is
  4. so i opened minicom on USB2 and got this on ls
  5. so i thought maybe the log files can’t bee seen in the USBdebug mode so i turned that off in AURIX and tegrareset x1
  6. retried my step 3 with same result

Please run below command to capture the log in a terminal.

$ sudo rm minicom.cap && sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB2 -C minicom.cap

and then try to reproduce the installation issue.
Once reproducing, please provide minicom.cap for our investigation. Thanks!

I made two separate runs with ttyUSB2 and ttyUSB6, in case Xavier B also has interesting information.
I have renamed the files to *.log because of upload restrictions.
minicom ttyUSB2.log (54.2 KB) minicom ttyUSB6.log (47.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the logs. We are checking them and will get back to you here soon.

May I know you connect USB 3.0 or 2.0 A-A cable to the USB debug port for flashing? Thanks!

I used a 2 meter long USB3.0 A-A cable.

Please run below command with the attached zip file right before flashing your system and see if it can fix the issue.

$ unzip -B 5.1.6.1_dtb_files_with_USB_fix.zip -d ~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/DRIVE_Software_10.0_Linux_OS_DDPX/DRIVEOS/drive-t186ref-foundation/tools/host/flashtools/flash/t18x/rcmkernel

5.1.6.1_dtb_files_with_USB_fix.zip (134.1 KB)

1 Like

Your error message looks not related to this topic. Please search in the category for the solution first. If still not able to solve your issue, please create a new topic. Thanks!

Hi @mspilker ,

Please kindly let us know if back then the zip file or USB 2.0 Type A to Type A cable solved your problem. Thanks.

Hi @VickNV,

the zip file did the trick - it took noticeably longer to flash but it was very reliable.
I’ve used an 2 meter long USB 3.0 A-A cable to flash

@VickNV,

I even used this fix (zip file) to downgrade from DRIVE OS 5.2.0 back to DRIVE Software 10. I followed the following post to downgrade the Aurix fw with the memtool.

The zip is for forcing USB 2.0. I would suggest you to use USB 2.0 Type A to Type A cable (as mentioned in document) and then you don’t need the zip file. Thanks.