Error compiling ncl_ncarg-5.1.1

This involves the build of ncl_ncarg-5.1.1 on a cluster running redhat 4 with PGI 7.1.5. ncl_ncarg-5.0 is installed and I have used the terse set of notes as a guide for the 5.1.1 install. I am seeing multiple compile errors during, the first one being the following:

pgCC -tp k8-64 -O -Msignextend -Mreentrant -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O -I…/./include -I/soft/local/nc-dap/nc-dap-3.7.0/include/libnc-dap -I/soft/local/hdf/hdf-4.2r3/include -I/soft/local/hdf-eos/hdf-eos-2.14/hdfeos/include -I/soft/local/opendap/opendap-3.8.0/include -I/soft/local/openmpi/openmpi-1.2.5/include -I/soft/local/szip/szip-2.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DSYSV -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DByteSwapped -DNeedFuncProto -c -o ymake-filter.o ymake-filter.c
“ymake-filter.c”, line 57: error: too many arguments in function call
if ( isacppcomment(line) ) continue;

The associated declaration prior to line 57 is “int isacppcomment();”. I was not able to modify the code in a way that was acceptable to pgCC. I then found that gcc is able to compile the code without error. I have been over Section 16 of the users guide, and nothing stood out as a ‘compatibility’ option.

Does anyone recognize the problem described here?

Thanks in advance.

David

P.S: What follows should provide info on the extent of the problem:

The next error was:
make[3]: Entering directory `/soft/local/ncl-5.1.1/common/src/libncarg_c’
pgf90 -tp k8-64 -O -Msignextend -Mreentrant -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O -c -o sbytes.o sbytes.f
pgf90 -tp k8-64 -O -Msignextend -Mreentrant -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O -c -o gbytes.o gbytes.f
pgCC -tp k8-64 -O -Msignextend -Mreentrant -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O -I…/…/…/./include -I/soft/local/nc-dap/nc-dap-3.7.0/include/libnc-dap -I/soft/local/hdf/hdf-4.2r3/include -I/soft/local/hdf-eos/hdf-eos-2.14/hdfeos/include -I/soft/local/opendap/opendap-3.8.0/include -I/soft/local/openmpi/openmpi-1.2.5/include -I/soft/local/szip/szip-2.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DLinux -DIBM -DNGVERSION=‘“5.1.1”’ -DNCLVERSION=‘“5.1.1”’ -DNCARGURL=‘“ngurl”’ -DSYSV -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DByteSwapped -DNeedFuncProto -c -o bcopyswap.o bcopyswap.c
“bcopyswap.c”, line 24: error: this declaration has no storage class or type
specifier
bcopyswap(b1, b2, size)
^

“bcopyswap.c”, line 24: error: identifier “b1” is undefined
bcopyswap(b1, b2, size)

The next is:
pgCC -tp k8-64 -O -Msignextend -Mreentrant -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O -I…/…/…/…/./include -I/soft/local/nc-dap/nc-dap-3.7.0/include/libnc-dap -I/soft/local/hdf/hdf-4.2r3/include -I/soft/local/hdf-eos/hdf-eos-2.14/hdfeos/include -I/soft/local/opendap/opendap-3.8.0/include -I/soft/local/openmpi/openmpi-1.2.5/include -I/soft/local/szip/szip-2.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DSYSV -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DByteSwapped -DNeedFuncProto -c -o ncargpath.o ncargpath.c
“ncargpath.c”, line 34: error: incomplete type is not allowed
void usage(progname)

There must be dozens more, here are a few of the associated filenames:
11 errors detected in the compilation of “ncargpath.c”.
12 errors detected in the compilation of “bofred.c”
6 errors detected in the compilation of “array.c”
5 errors detected in the compilation of “ggkwdr_stub.c”.
100 errors detected in the compilation of “wks.c”.
5 errors detected in the compilation of “…/…/…/…/./ncarg2d/src/libncarg_gks/awi/ggkwdr_stub.c”.

Using pgcc resulted in a successful compile.