error: Don't know how to compile include/_cuda_shim.cu

Hello,

I’m trying to use GPU processing in a python library spaCy which uses the following project to process on the GPU

Since the published library on pyPi doesn’t work for Windows, I was told to compile it on my own system. On trying to compile it I got past prior errors locating the CUDA_HOME and NVCC but now I am getting the following error

error: Don't know how to compile include/_cuda_shim.cu to build\temp.win-amd64-3.6\Release\include/_cuda_shim.obj

See details here

https://github.com/explosion/thinc/issues/92#issuecomment-492793476

I’ve posted an issue about this to the GitHub site hosting the project with no success. I was hoping someone here as any experience with this?

All I did was download it to my machine (Windows 10 x64) , unpack and run the following command in a python 3.6.8 environment (conda) that has installed spacy 2.0.18

(spacy) D:\TEMP\thinc\thinc_gpu_ops-master>python setup.py build_ext -inplace --plat-name win-amd64

which results in the following message

Cythonizing sources
thinc_gpu_ops\gpu_ops.pyx has not changed
running build_ext
building 'thinc_gpu_ops.gpu_ops' extension
creating build
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.6
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.6\Release
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.6\Release\thinc_gpu_ops
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.6\Release\include
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\x86_amd64\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /W3 /GL /DNDEBUG /MD -ID:\Anaconda\envs\spacy\include -ID:\TEMP\thinc\thinc_gpu_ops-master\include "-IC:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v9.0\include" -ID:\Anaconda\envs\spacy\include -ID:\Anaconda\envs\spacy\include "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\INCLUDE" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\ATLMFC\INCLUDE" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.6.1\include\um" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\include\\shared" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\include\\um" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\include\\winrt" /EHsc /Tpthinc_gpu_ops/gpu_ops.cpp /Fobuild\temp.win-amd64-3.6\Release\thinc_gpu_ops/gpu_ops.obj /Ox /EHsc
error: Don't know how to compile include/_cuda_shim.cu to build\temp.win-amd64-3.6\Release\include/_cuda_shim.obj

Anyone have any ideas how to overcome this?