Error Installing MLNX_OFED 4.7 driver on Ubuntu 18.04

Used following command

/mnt/iso/mlnxofedinstall --without-dkms --add-kernel-support --kernel 4.15.0-65-generic --upstream-libs

Below is snippet of log file pointed to

Creating deb for: mlnx-ofed-hypervisor-user-only

Built mlnx-ofed-hypervisor-user-only deb

Error: no packages files were found in ‘/tmp/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.7-1.0.0.1-4.15.0-65-generic/mlnx_iso.47626/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.7-1.0.0.1-ubuntu18.04-ext/DEBS/MLNX_LIBS’ directory!

yum grouplist XML creator for MLNX_OFED.

Usage: /tmp/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.7-1.0.0.1-4.15.0-65-generic/mlnx_iso.47626/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.7-1.0.0.1-ubuntu18.04-ext/create_mlnx_ofed_installers.pl

–name Prefix for packages names (Default: mlnx-ofed)

–mofed Path to MLNX_OFED directory

–output Path to output directory (file name will be always ‘comps.xml’)

default is //tmp/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.7-1.0.0.1-4.15.0-65-generic/mlnx_iso.47626/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.7-1.0.0.1-ubuntu18.04-ext

–rpms-tdir Where to copy the installer rpms/debs.

–rpms-path Path to directory containing binaries to scan (Default: autodetect).

–tmpdir Temp work directory (Default: /tmp)

–debian Build installer for debian (otherwise will build for Linux).

–kernel Kernel Version to put in the packages names (used when KMP/DKMS is not supported).

Also metadata rpm will select kernel rpms for the given kernel version.

–build-num Number to append to the release version number.

–upstream-libs Create installers for UPSTREAM_LIBS. (Default: MLNX_LIBS)

–with-hpc Include HPC packages in the xml file.

–groups Build only the given groups (comma separated list), this option can be repeated.

–ignore-groups Ignore the given groups (comma separated list), this option can be repeated.

Note: The script expects to find ‘_group.txt’ files for each needed group under the given RPMS directory.

/mnt/iso/mlnx_add_kernel_support.sh: line 135: createrepo: command not found

below is what is in directory where log states there are no packages:

it will not let me paste the list of directories and files here, but, the packages look like they are there to me.

I found this issue myself thank you. The issue was that the error causing the problem what later in the log file and had to do with needing to load the createrepo package. Once I loaded that, I was able to get past that problem.

Now on to the next issue. The documentation tells us to use the --without-dkms flag which forces the packages to be rebuilt, I also added the --add-kernel-support and --kernel flags along with --upstream-libs. The packages get rebuilt and then it goes to install the drivers and it changes the mlnxofedinstall command line by adding a duplicate --without-dkms and removing the --add-kernel-support. Then the installation fails saying that I either need to run the add-kernel-support.sh or include the --add-kernel-support flag ??? It was the script that removed that in the first place, why???

Hello James,

Thank you for updating this community ticket. Based on your previous update , it is good to see that the issue is resolved.

For your next new issue, based on the fact you have a valid support contract, please open a Mellanox support ticket by sending an email to support@mellanox.com

We will then continue to assist you through that support ticket directly.

Kind Regards,

~Mellanox Technical Support.