Error: suffix or operands invalid for `movss'

Dear supporter,

while porting program on amd64 opteron cluster, the compilation stop in one routine with the following err msg:

pgf90 -c -byteswapio -Mextend -fast -Mvect=prefetch -mcmodel=medium -tp amd64 exccoupl.f
/tmp/pgf90caaaaiDwaz.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/pgf90caaaaiDwaz.s:854: Error: suffix or operands invalid for movss' /tmp/pgf90caaaaiDwaz.s:856: Error: suffix or operands invalid for movss’
make[1]: *** [exc_x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.a(exccoupl.o)] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jason/exc-2.3.2/src’
make: *** [all] Error 2

we tried also 6.1.1, and 6.2.5, but fails with same err msg. i am wondering if this could only be resolved by upgrading the kernel release or ?

for your information, the kernel ver we have is 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp, comment & suggestion are welcome.

Br,
J

Hi J,

Can you send this code to trs@pgroup.com? We would need to recreate the error here to understand why it occurs.

Have you tried removing some of the compiler options to see if it works around the problem?

• Mat

Hi Mat,

thanks for the prompt reply, i tried lower down the optimization or even remove all relevant flags but leave only the arg for mem model, but fail with same err:

$ pgf90 -c -byteswapio -mcmodel=medium exccoupl.f
/tmp/pgf90baaaasrtao.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/pgf90baaaasrtao.s:907: Error: suffix or operands invalid for movss' /tmp/pgf90baaaasrtao.s:917: Error: suffix or operands invalid for movss’

i am forwading the code the makefile to you, feel free to let us know if you need more information to profile the low level err.

thanks

BR,
J

Hi Jason,

I was able to download the exc-2.3.3 source code and was able to recreate the error using the 6.2-5. The good news is that the error has been fixed in the 7.0-3 release of the compilers.

Note that I needed to add “-Mnomain” to the link line since the code provides it’s own main subroutine in the C source.

• Mat

Thanks Mat, however, could this only be resolved if upgrading to v7.0.03? i am afraid base on current node lock license type, we’re not able to upgrade from v6 to v7, if this is the only workaround.

thanks a lot.

Br,
J

Hi J,

The bug occurs at “-O1” and above, so you also work around it by compilng at “-O0”.

pgf90 -c -byteswapio -Mextend -O0 -mcmodel=medium -tp amd64  exccoupl.f
  • Mat

thanks Mat, i reinstall v7 (trial), and recompile the routine that wasnt able to pass in old release, say v6.1.1 and 6.2.5. i am discussion with local reseller, for the possible chance to upgrade the ver, and would be great if pgroup can also release patch for solving this issue (if feasible).

besides, i tried also zero optimization level, and pass the err as well.

thanks for the prompt reply for the err encountered.

Br,
J

Hi J,

Note that if you’re on subscription, then all upgrades are included.

• Mat