When I install a NVIDIA driver on a new installed RHEL7 I get following error: “ERROR: Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module” at the end of the driver installation.
In the past I have resolved this problem with reinstalling the RHEL.
But I would like to solve this problem since reinstalling did not help.
- I have installed a RHEL7.4 and upgraded it to RHEL7.9
- I installed following packages:
yum -y install epel-release
yum -y install synergy-plus.x86_64
yum -y install mc dos2unix unix2dos
yum -y install kernel-devel
yum -y install openmpi-devel.x86_64
yum groupinstall “Development Tools”
yum -y install kernel-devel kernel-headers dkms
yum -y install devtoolset-7
yum -y install gnuplot
yum -y install nfs-utils
- Then I disabled the nouveau driver what was installed with redhat:
sed -i ‘s/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“crashkernel=auto rd.lvm.lv=vg00/lv00 biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 rhgb quiet”/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“crashkernel=auto rd.lvm.lv=vg00/lv00 biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 rhgb quie t rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0”/’ /etc/default/grub
echo “blacklist nouveau” > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
mv /boot/initramfs-(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-(uname -r).img (uname -r)
- Installed the nvidia driver:
systemctl isolate multi-user.target
/bin/bash /tmp/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.50.run -sZ –dkms
running it manual without the parameters gives the same result:
- The error appears at the end of the installation. And followed by the following message:
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing
installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
- In the mentioned file there is information attached below.
- NOTICE that using the 460.39 (Latest Long Term) version driver gives the same result