Error upgrading to JetPack 4.4

I was upgrading my original Jetson Nano (a02?) to Jetpack 4.4, and got the following error:
dylan@jetsonnano:~$ sudo apt dist-upgrade

Starting bootloader post-install procedure.
ERROR. Procedure for bootloader update FAILED.
Cannot install package. Exiting…
dpkg: error processing package nvidia-l4t-bootloader (–configure):
installed nvidia-l4t-bootloader package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
nvidia-l4t-bootloader
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I was originally replying to a thread with a similar issue in the Jetson Xavier forum, which already had some debugging steps reading log files (which I included below), but they told me to post it here.
I had previously ran out of space on a 32 gigabyte micro sd card, so I booted with another micro sd card, put the original micro sd card in a usb sd card reader, and created an image of it onto a yet another usb micro sd card reader.
I copied the image to a windows computer and managed to write it onto a 64 gb micro sd card, then booted from it and expanded the main partition to fill the 64 gig micro sd card. I was using that for a month, when I decided to upgrade to Jetpack 4.4 today. (Edit: I have also been using a 128 GB usb key as storage for images from a raspbery pi camera. I don’t think any programs are installed on it. I also share a few directories on samba) I think I was on 4.3 before (I downloaded and flashed the latest image a couple months ago).
I was following this page first:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide%2Fquick_start.html%23wwpID0EVHA
I got the error when got to this instruction:
sudo apt dist-upgrade
I was going to finish off this page next, but now I’m afraid to reboot:
(forum won’t let new members post more than 3 urls)

There was an error at the bottom of this message that I’m copying up here:
/opt/ota_package/bl_update_payload.log
Error. Version number is corrupted. Exiting…

I assume that is the clue to rescuing this boot SD card.

Redoing the last few commands:

dylan@jetsonnano:~$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list
[sudo] password for dylan:
deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/common r32.4 main
deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/t210 r32.4 main

dylan@jetsonnano:~$ sudo apt update
Get:1 file:/var/cuda-repo-10-0-local-10.0.326 InRelease
Ign:1 file:/var/cuda-repo-10-0-local-10.0.326 InRelease
Get:2 file:/var/visionworks-repo InRelease
Ign:2 file:/var/visionworks-repo InRelease
Get:3 file:/var/visionworks-sfm-repo InRelease
Ign:3 file:/var/visionworks-sfm-repo InRelease
Get:4 file:/var/visionworks-tracking-repo InRelease
Ign:4 file:/var/visionworks-tracking-repo InRelease
Get:5 file:/var/cuda-repo-10-0-local-10.0.326 Release [574 B]
Get:5 file:/var/cuda-repo-10-0-local-10.0.326 Release [574 B]
Get:6 file:/var/visionworks-repo Release [1,999 B]
Get:6 file:/var/visionworks-repo Release [1,999 B]
Get:7 file:/var/visionworks-sfm-repo Release [2,003 B]
Get:7 file:/var/visionworks-sfm-repo Release [2,003 B]
Get:8 file:/var/visionworks-tracking-repo Release [2,008 B]
Get:8 file:/var/visionworks-tracking-repo Release [2,008 B]

Fetched 917 kB in 4s (260 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
All packages are up to date.

dylan@jetsonnano:~$ sudo apt list --upgradable
Listing… Done

dylan@jetsonnano:~$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
apt-clone archdetect-deb bogl-bterm busybox-static cryptsetup-bin dpkg-repack efibootmgr gir1.2-geocodeglib-1.0 gir1.2-timezonemap-1.0
gir1.2-xkl-1.0 grub-common kde-window-manager kinit kio kpackagetool5 kwin-common kwin-data kwin-x11 libdebian-installer4 libfwup1
libkdecorations2-5v5 libkdecorations2private5v5 libkf5activities5 libkf5attica5 libkf5completion-data libkf5completion5 libkf5declarative-data
libkf5declarative5 libkf5doctools5 libkf5globalaccel-data libkf5globalaccel5 libkf5globalaccelprivate5 libkf5idletime5 libkf5jobwidgets-data
libkf5jobwidgets5 libkf5kcmutils-data libkf5kcmutils5 libkf5kiocore5 libkf5kiontlm5 libkf5kiowidgets5 libkf5newstuff-data libkf5newstuff5
libkf5newstuffcore5 libkf5package-data libkf5package5 libkf5plasma5 libkf5quickaddons5 libkf5solid5 libkf5solid5-data libkf5sonnet5-data
libkf5sonnetcore5 libkf5sonnetui5 libkf5textwidgets-data libkf5textwidgets5 libkf5waylandserver5 libkf5xmlgui-bin libkf5xmlgui-data libkf5xmlgui5
libkscreenlocker5 libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkwineffects11 libkwinglutils11 libkwinxrenderutils11 libllvm8 libqgsttools-p1 libqt5designer5
libqt5help5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5multimediaquick-p5 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5positioning5 libqt5quickwidgets5
libqt5sensors5 libqt5webchannel5 libqt5webkit5 libxcb-composite0 libxcb-cursor0 libxcb-damage0 os-prober python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python3-icu
python3-pam python3-pyqt5 python3-pyqt5.qtsvg python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit python3-sip qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrolsaddons qml-module-qtmultimedia
qml-module-qtquick2 rdate tasksel tasksel-data
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up nvidia-l4t-bootloader (32.4.2-20200408182156) …
3448-300—1–jetson-nano-qspi-sd-mmcblk0p1
Starting bootloader post-install procedure.
ERROR. Procedure for bootloader update FAILED.
Cannot install package. Exiting…
dpkg: error processing package nvidia-l4t-bootloader (–configure):
installed nvidia-l4t-bootloader package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
nvidia-l4t-bootloader
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

dylan@jetsonnano:~$ sudo gedit /etc/nv_boot_control.conf
TNSPEC 3448-300—1-0-jetson-nano-qspi-sd-mmcblk0p1
COMPATIBLE_SPEC 3448-300—1–jetson-nano-qspi-sd-mmcblk0p1
TEGRA_CHIPID 0x21
TEGRA_OTA_BOOT_DEVICE /dev/mtdblock0
TEGRA_OTA_GPT_DEVICE /dev/mtdblock0

dylan@jetsonnano:~$ sudo gedit /opt/ota_package/bl_update_payload.log
Error. Version number is corrupted. Exiting…
BLOB PATH:
/opt/ota_package/t21x/bl_update_payload

SPEC: 3448-300—1-0-jetson-nano-qspi-sd-mmcblk0p1
Compatible SPEC: 3448-300—1–jetson-nano-qspi-sd-mmcblk0p1

[R]eading 65,536 bytes of /dev/mtdblock0 at offset 4,128,768
VER number: 0
[R]eading 65,536 bytes of /dev/mtdblock0 at offset 4,063,232
VER_b number: 0
[R]eading 65,536 bytes of /dev/mtdblock0 at offset 4,063,232
blob ver number: 320402

Hi,

1. show me the /etc/nv_boot_control.conf
  2. attach the /opt/ota_package/bl_update_payload.log

Could you directly paste the file here?

/etc/nv_boot_control.conf:
TNSPEC 3448-300—1-0-jetson-nano-qspi-sd-mmcblk0p1
COMPATIBLE_SPEC 3448-300—1–jetson-nano-qspi-sd-mmcblk0p1
TEGRA_CHIPID 0x21
TEGRA_OTA_BOOT_DEVICE /dev/mtdblock0
TEGRA_OTA_GPT_DEVICE /dev/mtdblock0

bl_update_payload.log (634 Bytes)

I had also installed an Intel 8265AC wireless adaptor into the M.2 slot, if that has any effect.

Hi,

Our team has checked and find the cause. Your board was flashed with the RC3 QSPI factory image, and our bootloader Debian package didn’t support it very well.

We have prepared a fix for this but not yet released.

One alternative here is to flash the board with sdkmanager so that the QSPI image could be updated. Though I understand that flashing with sdkm would indicate no need for OTA…

I hadn’t heard of the sdkmanager before. Would that allow me to safely reboot? Is there an install guide?
In the current state, the vision program I’ve been working on won’t start. I’m afraid to reboot. In the mean time, I got to wait and hope for no power outages, or give up and flash the micro SD card. Is there a time estimate on the fix?

Here is a list of JetPack/SDKM releases:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack-archive
(you probably have to click the URL, log in, and click again to see content)

You probably want the newest JetPack/SDKM, or one to match your current L4T release. JetPack/SDKM is a tool which runs on a host Ubuntu 18.04 PC, while L4T is the content the JetPack/SDKM tool flashes to the Jetson. L4T is a release of Ubuntu for arm64 plus NVIDIA drivers. You can find all versions of L4T here, and cross reference to the JetPack release:
https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra

On newer releases you can find your L4T version via “dpkg -l | grep 'nvidia-l4t-core'” run on the Jetson. For older releases you can find the L4T release via “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”.

Docs are included on those release pages. Flashing will erase current content.

dylan@jetsonnano:~$ dpkg -l | grep ‘nvidia-l4t-core’
ii nvidia-l4t-core 32.4.2-20200408182156 arm64 NVIDIA Core Package
32.4.2 is the latest one according to those pages.
I don’t have an Ubuntu PC here. I might be able to bring one home from work. I have some raspberry pi’s and Windows PCs, though. I guess I could put a blank hard drive into a laptop, and install Ubuntu on it.
Flash the board? Is this like the BIOS, or the SD card? Over Ethernet?
My primary goal is to rescue the current boot SD card with all of the software and libraries installed on it.

@dylanhoen:
It seems I had the same issue, reported here OTA error at nvidia-l4t-bootloader update from JetPack 4.3 to JetPack 4.4 - #24 by mictiemix. Also I just confirmed that my /etc/nv_boot_control.conf is identical to yours.
I was able to resolve the issue without SDK-manager and without dataloss by reflashing the SD-card …

Pls note: I am running the Nano from a USB-memory stick, with the SD-card just required for booting as shown here

Maybe it helps …

1 Like

I installed ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop.
I installed SDK Manager 1.1.0.6343 on the laptop.
I hooked up a micro usb cable between the laptop and the jetson nano.
I went through the installation procedure, and I selected the development jetson nano (or something like that) (I didn’t see a02 or b01 choices).
It said it failed at the end. I switched the kvm switch back to the jetson nano, and there was no signal on the hdmi cable anymore
I looked at the logs and it was running some kind of usb device search command and looking the number that showed up next to nvidia in the results. Occasionally it would work, but other times it wouldn’t. I think the first error was about a missing python file.
The laptop only had one usb port, and it was connected to a kvm switch, then usb hub with keyboard and mouse and jetson nano.
I decided to connect the laptop’s usb port directly to the jetson nano, and disconnected and reconnected power to it.
The built in laptop keyboard and track-pad are pretty frustrating to use. I’m not going to do much proofreading on this post.
Luckily, the jetson nano booted to the desktop.
I tried the flashing process again, and it rebooted the jetson nano, so I guess it was talking to it through the usb cable.
It said it failed again.
I disconnected and reconnected power to it, and luckily it booted to the desktop again. My program appeared to work again.

The SDK manager saved a bunch of logs. I attached the log that had flash in its name:
NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.log (1.8 KB)

I copy and pasted what was in the terminal below:

• 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Start to install ‘Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit)’
  • 04:29:48 DEBUG : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : using adapter to install NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT to /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ Disk Avail:404.67 GB ]
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Using GenericInstaller to Install NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : change working directory to /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ Component Install Started ]
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : current working directory is /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : exec_command [host]:
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : **********************
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : #!/bin/bash
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : set -e
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : set -e
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : if [ -e ./bootloader/system.img ]; then
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : echo sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : else
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : echo sudo ./flash.sh jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sudo ./flash.sh jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : fi
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sleep 20
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : **********************
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sudo ./flash.sh jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [host] [sudo] password for dylan:
  • 04:29:48 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) :
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : ###############################################################################
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # L4T BSP Information:
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # R32 , REVISION: 4.2
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : ###############################################################################
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # Target Board Information:
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # Name: jetson-nano-qspi-sd, Board Family: t210ref, SoC: Tegra 210,
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # OpMode: production, Boot Authentication: ,
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : ./tegraflash.py --chip 0x21 --applet “/home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/nvtboot_recovery.bin” --skipuid --cmd “dump eeprom boardinfo cvm.bin”
  • 04:29:49 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : /usr/bin/env: ‘python’
  • 04:29:49 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : : No such file or directory
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Reading board information failed.
  • 04:29:49 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh; [error]: exit status 1
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ 16.00 KB used. Disk Avail: 404.67 GB ]
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP Install took 0s ]
  • 04:29:49 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [error]: Run commands failed at step Install: command /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh finished with error
  • 04:29:49 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) :
  • 04:29:49 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : command terminated with error
  • 04:29:49 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Install ‘Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit)’ failure, command < using adapter to install NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT to /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT > terminated with error.
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Start to install ‘Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit)’
  • 04:51:52 DEBUG : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : using adapter to install NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT to /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ Disk Avail:404.66 GB ]
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Using GenericInstaller to Install NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : change working directory to /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ Component Install Started ]
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : current working directory is /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : exec_command [host]:
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : **********************
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : #!/bin/bash
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : set -e
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : set -e
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : if [ -e ./bootloader/system.img ]; then
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : echo sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : else
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : echo sudo ./flash.sh jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sudo ./flash.sh jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : fi
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sleep 20
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : **********************
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : sudo ./flash.sh jetson-nano-qspi-sd mmcblk0p1
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : ###############################################################################
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # L4T BSP Information:
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # R32 , REVISION: 4.2
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : ###############################################################################
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # Target Board Information:
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # Name: jetson-nano-qspi-sd, Board Family: t210ref, SoC: Tegra 210,
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : # OpMode: production, Boot Authentication: ,
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : ./tegraflash.py --chip 0x21 --applet “/home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/nvtboot_recovery.bin” --skipuid --cmd “dump eeprom boardinfo cvm.bin”
  • 04:51:52 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : /usr/bin/env: ‘python’
  • 04:51:52 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : : No such file or directory
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Reading board information failed.
  • 04:51:52 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh; [error]: exit status 1
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ 8.00 KB used. Disk Avail: 404.66 GB ]
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [ NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP Install took 0s ]
  • 04:51:52 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : [error]: Run commands failed at step Install: command /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh finished with error
  • 04:51:52 INFO : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) :
  • 04:51:52 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : command terminated with error
  • 04:51:52 ERROR : Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit) : Install ‘Flash Jetson Nano (Devkit)’ failure, command < using adapter to install NV_L4T_FLASH_NANO_DEVKIT_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT to /home/dylan/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT > terminated with error.

FLASHING FAILED
Please review the terminal tab for details. Resolve and RETRY.

Installation of target SDK components was skipped

EXPORT LOGS

RETRY

FAILED ITEMS

Is your board a jetson nano devkit with sdcard slot on the module?

If so, then something is wrong here.

Better dumping the serial console log during flash.

https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

The above is the problem. The host lacks the correct Python version. I use a Fedora host, but what do you see from each of these?

• which python
  • ls -l "$(which python)"
  • which python2
  • which python3
    …I forget which one it is Ubuntu might be missing, but there is a recent transition from version 2 to version 3. Whichever is missing, python2 or python3, install that on the host and then try again.

Thanks to @Honey_Patouceul, added a missing quote on the python command.

On the laptop:
dylan@dylanubuntu:~$ which python
dylan@dylanubuntu:~$ ls -l “$(which python)”
ls: cannot access ‘’: No such file or directory
dylan@dylanubuntu:~$ which python2
dylan@dylanubuntu:~$ which python3
/usr/bin/python3

So, I tried installing python2.7 and 3.7. That didn’t fix it. Eventually I tried:
sudo apt-get install python
I think that did it.
Sometimes the laptop could talk to the jetson nano over usb. Sometimes it couldn’t.
Eventually, I tried manual mode, where I booted with the jumper in. That sort of worked once, but never again.
The instructions said something about putting it in, connecting power, and then removing the jumper.
Eventually, I tried leaving the jumper in the whole time, and I think that worked better.
What finally worked, is I put a different boot SD card in with the manual flash jumper in, and that worked, but I think it stopped at 45%, and the jetson nano booted to desktop, but had a fresh install setup wizard. I found that that SD card had likely been formatted. A file that I thought was in root had disappeared, and I think the setup wizard recreated my user folder.
I reran the sdk wizard on the laptop, and it went through to 100% this time.
I swapped back to my old sd card, took out the jumper, disconnected the USB cable, and booted.
I entered:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
That one said something about flashing being successful, and needing to reboot.
I rebooted.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
All completed successfully.
I tried out my vision program, and it appeared to be working.

I had also tried to do the terminal thing. I dug through my junk pile and found an old arduino FTDI usb to serial converter, but it took mini usb, and I never found its mini usb cable.

Thanks,
Dylan

As a followup, the first program I was working on was working, but a YOLO tutorial I was testing with stopped working after the upgrade to jetpack 4.4…
I wanted to try with a fresh install instead of an upgraded install. I did the fresh install using the SDK manager, and was doing all of the apt-get updates, when it ran out of space and crashed. I found out that the SDK manager put the 14 GB main partition at the beginning of the SD card, so it would be difficult to grow it to use the entire 128 GB sd card. I found out that there is a shell script that would create an SD card image that could be flashed onto an SD card using etcher. I typed the wrong command at first, but the error message with the usage could be useful to other people reading this thread (and the call is here, together with the path to the script (replace with your ubuntu user name), which I didn’t find on the same web pages):
dylan@dylanubuntu:~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra/tools$ sudo ./jetson-disk-image-creator.sh -o sd-blob.img -s 16G -r 100
[sudo] password for dylan:

Jetson Disk Image Creation Tool     

Unknown option: -s
Usage:
jetson-disk-image-creator.sh -o <sd_blob_name> -b -r
sd_blob_name - valid file name
board - board name. Supported boards are:
jetson-nano
jetson-xavier-nx-devkit
revision - SKU revision number
jetson-nano: 100/200/300 for A01/A02/B00
jetson-xavier-nx-devkit: default
Example:
jetson-disk-image-creator.sh -o sd-blob.img -b jetson-nano -r 300
jetson-disk-image-creator.sh -o sd-blob.img -b jetson-xavier-nx-devkit
dylan@dylanubuntu:~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_NANO_DEVKIT/Linux_for_Tegra/tools$ sudo ./jetson-disk-image-creator.sh -o sd-blob.img -b jetson-nano -r 200
It created an unexpectedly small image (I was missing the size argument in the command), but on first boot, it expanded the main partition to fill the 128GB SD card. I found out later that not everything was installed on the SD card. I still had to use the SDK manager to do all of the software steps after flashing (after 45.45%)
The YOLO program still didn’t work. It seemed to need the cuda toolkit 10.0 instead of 10.2 or whatever jetpack 4.4 came with (I don’t have all of these version numbers in front of me right now). I tried to install 10.0, but there didn’t seem to be a separate download for it for arm cpus. I tried to use the SDK manager to install 10.0, but it said that it installs the version that is compatible with LT4, and only gave me the one choice. I happened to notice that there was a cuda toolkit 11 out now. I read the release notes and it said that it dropped support for Maxwell chips (the Jetson Nano). I didn’t have high hopes for future support for Jetson Nanos, or the official non-beta jetpack 4.4 fixing my problem, so I decided to go back to jetpack 4.3.
I noticed that the image I downloaded for jetpack 4.3 had a B01 in its name. I have Jetson Nano A02. I didn’t notice this version number until after I was having trouble accessing the raspberry pi camera 2 from opencv in python3. The yolo exe could access the PI camera 2, though. I had done a google search and found another person that had had trouble talking to the Pi Camera 2 from python3, but there was no solution.
I wonder if the B01 image with its 2 csi camera connectors was incompatible with my A02 board with 1 csi camera connector. I though maybe it somehow broke the python camera connection through opencv. I then thought to look at the python code opening the connection to the camera.

This is probably a topic for another thread, but I’ll add it to the bottom of this post anyways. The call came from a tutorial (The capitalization inconsistencies were me starting out with the tutorial code and style, then gradually transitioning to my own coding style as I learned python):
if running_on_jetson_nano():
originalvideowidth = 3264
originalvideoheight = 2464
SearchCenterOfInterestX = 1650
SearchCenterOfInterestY = 1475
DisplayCenterOfInterestX = 1600
DisplayCenterOfInterestY = 1550#1740
SearchAreaWidth = 800
SearchAreaHeight = 400
DisplayAreaWidth = 1750
DisplayAreaHeight = 1024
# Accessing the camera with OpenCV on a Jetson Nano requires gstreamer with a custom gstreamer source string
video_capture = cv2.VideoCapture(get_jetson_gstreamer_source(), cv2.CAP_GSTREAMER)
print( “Jetson Nano Settings: originalvideowidth=”+str(originalvideowidth) + “, originalvideoheight=”+str(originalvideoheight) + “, DisplayAreaWidth=”+str(DisplayAreaWidth) + “, DisplayAreaHeight=”+str(DisplayAreaHeight))
print( “get_jetson_gstreamer_source()=”+get_jetson_gstreamer_source())

def get_jetson_gstreamer_source(capture_width=3264, capture_height=2464, display_width=3264, display_height=2464, framerate=21, flip_method=0):
“”"
Return an OpenCV-compatible video source description that uses gstreamer to capture video from the camera on a Jetson Nano
“”"
return (
f’nvarguscamerasrc ! video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), ’ +
f’width=(int){capture_width}, height=(int){capture_height}, ’ +
f’format=(string)NV12, framerate=(fraction){framerate}/1 ! ’ +
f’nvvidconv flip-method={flip_method} ! ’ +
f’video/x-raw, width=(int){display_width}, height=(int){display_height}, format=(string)BGRx ! ’ +
‘videoconvert ! video/x-raw, format=(string)BGR ! appsink’
)

while True:

if not video_capture.isOpened():
        print("Error opening video")
        key = cv2.waitKey(1000)

while(video_capture.isOpened()):
        # Grab a single frame of video
        ret, OriginalFrame = video_capture.read()

Console output:
Jetson Nano Settings: originalvideowidth=3264, originalvideoheight=2464, DisplayAreaWidth=1750, DisplayAreaHeight=1024
get_jetson_gstreamer_source()=nvarguscamerasrc ! video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=(int)3264, height=(int)2464, format=(string)NV12, framerate=(fraction)21/1 ! nvvidconv flip-method=0 ! video/x-raw, width=(int)3264, height=(int)2464, format=(string)BGRx ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw, format=(string)BGR ! appsink
Error opening video
Error opening video
Error opening video
Error opening video

Any idea if the problem is with the raspberry PI camera 2 drivers, OpenCV, Python3, or the python code I was using (that used to work)?

Thanks,
Dylan

I am pretty useless at debugging cameras, but it is correct that a02 and b01 revisions are not compatible with each other. The carrier boards differ, and as a result so do the device trees. I do not know in what ways this would change cameras, but it is reasonable to think that the a02 device tree content related to your issue is different than the b01 device tree content. Having a correct device tree for your carrier board revision might solve some of the more mysterious issues.