EVGA RTX 2080Ti Black IRAY OptiX 7.1.0 error (SOLVED)

I’ve been having problems rendering in IRAY using my EVGA RTX 2080Ti Black GPU both in Daz Studio and nVidia’s IRAY server. In Daz Studio’s log file I see the following relevant lines:

IRAY:RENDER :: 1.1 IRAY rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 465.89
IRAY:RENDER :: 1.1 IRAY rend info : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 11.3; iray requires CUDA version 11.0; all is good.
IRAY:RENDER :: 1.1 IRAY rend info : Using iray plugin version 5.1, build 334300.6349 n, 14 Dec 2020, nt-x86-64-vc14.
IRAY:RENDER :: 1.1 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): compute capability 7.5, 11.000 GiB total, 9.961 GiB available, display attached
IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : Using OptiX version 7.1.0
Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend error: optixInit() failed: Unsupported ABI version. Please update your NVIDIA driver

And nVidia’s IRAY server produces something similar, specifically the “Unsupported ABI version” message. This is using the latest nVidia drivers: 465.89. I’ve updated my MB BIOS and GPU firmware to no effect.

Other users report no issues between IRAY and the 2080Ti, though so far they report using different manufacturer/models than what I am so I’m suspecting this might be a problem with the EVGA Black, but I don’t know how else to diagnose this issue. An EVGA rep claims this is an issue requiring the software developers to implement support for this specific GPU.

I’m hoping somebody can help in further troubleshooting this issue: Is it really something that the Daz and IRAY server developers need to address or is there something I can do on my end to resolve this?

Thanks.

Hi! This sounds like a stray copy of nvoptix.dll and/or nvrtum64.dll somewhere. Could you please search your windows install directory (e.g. C:\Windows) for that one?
If there is a copy found that is NOT in the subtree of C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore.… then please delete that one.

2 Likes

THAT WAS IT!
Oh man, you don’t know how long I’ve been trying to figure this out. You, sir, are a rockstar. I am elated. You’ve made my week. Nay, month!

Please teach me: Where did these .dlls come from? If I were to take a guess… are these old/obsolete assemblies that came bundled with Windows somehow and the GAC or something was finding them before the nice shiny ones in the DriverStore folder or something? I really need to know to avoid this in the future.

Thank you, sir, you are awesome!

No problem, and thanks for the confirmation!

To be honest, i have no clue how this one could have even happened. Cause in theory these dlls should always end up in the driver store since years. So the only explanation i have is that some app installed these on its own for whatever weird reason (maybe to workaround some other problem/bug that may have existed in common drivers at that point??).

1 Like