Factory reset of NVIDIA jetson TX2 NX

Hi All,

I am currently working on Jetson TX2 NX[emmc]. I would like to know clarification on the feasibility of performing a factory reset on nvidia TX2 NX in the case of crashes ,system corruption or unresponsiveness .Can we provide a recovery image to do the factory reset ?
I Would like to update the image in case of crashes without re-flashing the device using either sdk manager or flashing scripts. Kindly confirm whether the factory reset is possible in Jetson.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I think we don’t have such factory reset option available for Jetson.
Do you have difficulties re-flashing your device?

The factory reset on jetson means flashed by the image from sdkmanger.

1 Like

Hi @WayneWWW , @DaveYYY ,
Thank you for the prompt response .I have one more doubt .

Can a new recovery partition be created on the eMMC, with a backup image and recovery script, to be used for overwriting the image on the main partition using a factory reset?

Hi,

there is also no such option, but based on your need,
you may consider cloning and restoring a working Jetson device:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/l4t-archived/l4t-3273/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/flashing.html#wwpID0E0NP0HA
or enabling A/B redundancy, in case when one of them fails, you can still use the other:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/l4t-archived/l4t-3273/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/rootfs_custom.html#wwpID0E0BF0HA

Hi @DaveYYY ,

I am working on jetpack version 4.6[32.6.1 L4T]. Are above methods possible with this jetpack version?

Yes,
and you can check the corresponding guide for L4T 32.6.1:
NVIDIA Jetson Linux Developer Guide : Introduction | NVIDIA Docs

Hi @DaveYYY ,
Thank you for the response .I have gone through the documents. After reviewing the documents I have one more query . Can we use two boot media in jetson TX2 NX.ie Primary boot media as emmc and secondary boot media as external SD card. If device is not booting from primary boot media restart and boot from secondary boot media. Is that method possible? can we utilize two boot media? It is mainly due to memory constraints

Hi,

you can modify /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf to add the device you want to boot from.
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/l4t-archived/l4t-3261/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/uboot_guide.html#wwpID0E0KG0HA
They will be available for you to choose upon boot.

Hi @DaveYYY ,

Contents of /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf is as follows.
cat /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
TIMEOUT 7
DEFAULT primary

MENU TITLE L4T boot options

LABEL primary
MENU LABEL primary kernel
LINUX /boot/Image
INITRD /boot/initrd
APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0 isolcpus=1-2

How can we modify this to add two boot media ?Could you please clarify ? Similarly how can we add rootfs ?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Lets’ take USB drive for example.

You first plug the USB drive to your TX2 booted into eMMC, and copy everything in rootfs from eMMC to the USB drive, with tools like dd, rsync or maybe simply cp. Then check the device name of the USB drive with df -h, and make a new entry in extlinux.conf with root replaced as the new device.

It may look like this:

LABEL USB drive
MENU LABEL Boot from USB drive
LINUX /boot/Image
INITRD /boot/initrd
APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=/dev/sda1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0 isolcpus=1-2

You will want each copy of extlinux.conf in your bootable devices to have the same content, so do this on both eMMC and USB drive.

There should be a prompt popping up for you to choose the media to boot from upon boot. Also, change the DEFAULT label to determine what device you want to use as the default boot option.

Hi @DaveYYY ,

Thanks for the quick response. In this case Bootrom of Jetson TX2 NX will initialises the primary boot media (emmc) and during the U-boot stage,bootloader loads the kernel image ,device tree and filesystem from the boot media either from primary or secondary as per the extlinux.conf files.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi, I think you are right.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.