Failed flashing t186ref for JetsonPack 3.3

Hello,

I looked for a while but could not find any answer, please tell me if you have any idea.

I am running JetPack-L4T-3.3-linux-x64_b39.run on a native 14.04 Ubuntu on a dual boot.

flash_os_tx2.log

[ 4.7504 ]
[ 4.7523 ] tegradevflash_v2 --pt flash.xml.bin --create
[ 4.7534 ] Bootloader version 01.00.0000
[ 4.7641 ] Erasing sdmmc_boot: 3 … [Done]
[ 4.8070 ] Writing partition secondary_gpt with gpt_secondary_0_3.bin
[ 4.8070 ]
Error: Return value 3
Command tegradevflash_v2 --pt flash.xml.bin --create
Failed flashing t186ref.

Before when I run the run install file I have this warning appearing : "We noticed you are running OS with non ES locale. NVIDIA does not test nor support such configuration.

I have the USB cable provided by NVIDIA and the device is in recovery mode with Bus 003 Device 053: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp. with lsusb.

It is also connected successfully to internet (both device) with a switch.

Thank you for your support !

You may need to run the installation from a 16.04 Ubuntu host.
I’m installing JetPack 3.3 as well, but stumbled by a different problem.
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1039445/jetson-tx2/getting-cuda-installation-error-after-flashing-jetpack-3-3-successfully-/post/5281372/#5281372[/url]
Please let me know if yours works.

I am using en_US locale, so I haven’t checked others. On the other hand, I have heard the installer (under JetPack) can have issues with other locales. You could temporarily run as that locale (replace “YourProgram” with the particular JetPack name):

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ./YourProgram

The part I remember about hearing about install issues would be:

• Whitespace in a path.
  • Certain multi-byte characters not in UTF8.

Locale could be changed after flash, though you might need to install something or change a setting.

Be sure your JetPack directory is writable by your regular user. It is best to start with a completely clean JetPack directory (re-using a directory which had a previous version or a previous fail might leave something there you don’t want). Don’t use “sudo” to run JetPack, it’ll ask for the password when needed.

Make sure you have a lot of disk space, you’ll probably need about 35GB. You can run “df -H -T /where/ever/JetPack/is/at/”. The “-T” is to also list file system type, which needs to be ext4 (sometimes an external hard drive is used which isn’t ext4).

Thank you, I am running on a Japanese ubuntu PC, I completely set up the langage and the warning stayed but not the error.
But the installation was stuck at “determining IP adress” after a successful flashing and now Jetson TX2 desktop appear but the USB and mini B-USB port are not working anymore…
Do you have an any idea what happened ?

Do you have a log of the flash for the version where it was “LANG=en_US.UTF-8”? If you want to flash again, using command line (which I recommend for logging and for simplification), see:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1031769/jetson-tx2/unable-install-any-jetpacks-jetson-tx2/post/5249710/#5249710

If you want everything in your session (until exiting that terminal) to be en_US (advised for testing), simply run this in that terminal where flash is run:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Also, be sure you run “df -H -T .” (the “.” is important) from the location you flash. Be sure you have about 35GB or more of free space. If you run out of space the image will be silently truncated and flash will succeed as usual, but the running system will have parts missing.

Also, before flashing again, run “dmesg --follow”. Then see if anything shows up as you plug in or unplug a USB device.

Thank you I will try . I have for sure more than 35GB and after the successful flash, the desktop of the Jetson appears, I just cannot access anything since I cannot connect any keyboars.

I am very worried about this because I got a micro SD card already booted with a jetpack from someone else and the desktop from the Ubuntu on this SD card as been well made because it runs on am other jetson but on mine the USB port are still dead, is it possible it broke by many flashing attempts?

Are you booting from SD card and not from eMMC? Is the system it ran on using the same carrier board? If not, then the device tree won’t be valid. Additionally you’d need to know which extlinux.conf is being used during boot…SD card or eMMC version. Normally eMMC is used, and if the other person had flashed to point directly at extlinux.conf of SD card, then things will behave differently between the two.

Also, I have seen differences in quality of various SD card brands. Some SD cards seem to work well for data, but fail when used as a rootfs. Hard to say though without more information.

A serial console is highly recommended, as this has almost no driver dependency (you could probably get logs and interact with a serial console even when networking and the GUI fail):
[url]http://www.jetsonhacks.com/2017/03/24/serial-console-nvidia-jetson-tx2/[/url]