Failed to distill error when attempting to open Paraview scene

I’m trying to establish a workflow from Paraview to UE4 through Omniverse. I create the example as described here: ParaView — Omniverse Connect documentation (nvidia.com), and then attempt to open the scene following the instructions here: Unreal Engine 4 — Omniverse Connect documentation (nvidia.com).

I get the error: Failed to distill functions mdl_path_to_materials_PBR_Opaque_vertex_color_from_coordinate from omniverse://localhost/path/to/materials/PBR_Opaque.mdl

The referenced file does not appear to be present in the indicated path. All I see there are PBR_Base and PBR_Translucent_mdl.

The scene opens correctly in Create.

Is this a failure in one of the connectors, or is it just user error somehow?

First of all, @woodscn - a warm welcome to the forums! So glad to have you here. I am checking with our team to see if we can help narrow down the cause of this error. Stay tuned!

By the way, GTC Spring 2022 has been announced, is all virtual, and free…to register and receive the latest news: GTC 2022: #1 AI Conference

Come!

Cheers,
Edmar

P.S. We are constantly adding new tutorials and aggregate them all in the “learn” tab on the launcher (also see: Nvidia On-Demand Video List — Omniverse Developer documentation).

he / him | LinkedIn | Discord ID: Prof E#2041
Omniverse: “A New Era of Collaboration and Simulation” (video)
Omniverse Create’s latest features show & tell: Twitch livestream.
As seen in VentureBeat | Physics Showcase

Omniverse Resources:
Omniverse | Documentation | Tech Requirements | Videos | Roadmap | Twitter | Discord | Twitch

PLEASE NOTE: If you are reporting a bug/issue, please provide OS, GPU, GPU Driver, the version of the app, and full log file (if applicable). For crashes, please zip and provide a link to your logs → C:\Users\ [YOUR NAME] \ .nvidia-omniverse\logs

Hi @woodscn, thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. I’ve been looking at this problem and determined that updates to the UE4 connector have made its MDL distillation functionality stricter than it used to be. I will update the PV connector to circumvent this error, but that will still take some time to be released.

In the meantime, you can use the following workaround: remove ‘anno::noinline()’ (and the comma on the line before that) from the annotation of the ‘vertex_color_from_coordinate’ function in PBR_Opaque.mdl. That should give you a working material again. If anything else is not working properly, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks! That worked. Will that workaround persist through a whole session, or will I need to close out of Paraview to avoid overwriting things?

Ah that’s great to hear! It will persist throughout the whole session.