Failed to Initialize NVML: Driver/library version mismatch

My personal computer has a gtx 1080 TI chip and I can’t
run any operations using the gpu because I keep getting this error: “Failed to Initialize NVML: Driver/library version mismatch NVML library version:535.129”. I also tried to operate the print the logs but I could not decode the text using any of the popular encodings

GeForce products generally don’t support being operated in a virtual machine.

That was my mistake, I wasn’t actually operating a virtual machine, it was a physical server. The problem is that I have generated a log file but I can’t decode its contents at all
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (130.3 KB)

You can decode that file on linux using

tar -xzvf nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

It will produce a text file (nvidia-bug-report.log) which has a number of system logs and other info dumped into it, which you should be able to inspect with a text editor like vi.

If you’re not operating in a VM then the error message is generally associated with an improper driver install. One source for instruction in this area is the CUDA linux install guide. An improper driver install will often put messages in the system log, which you can inspect either in the log file produced above, or by executing the

dmesg

command on linux.

Messages in that log that have NVRM in them are relevant to the driver and driver install.

1 Like