Fan stop working after tx2 boots up

Hi,
I am having problem in Tx2 with Astro Carrier board with Fan switching off automatically after the system boots up.

Background

• Initially I flashed the tx2 on Devkit with Jetpack 4.4.1 using SDK Manager, Everything works fine on DevKit including fan. When I put this flashed SOM on my Astro Carrier board, usb does not work, but fan works properly even after the device is completely booted up.
  • As per Documentation of Astro board, I need to install the Customised BSP layer for it to be fully compatible .

So I went ahead and downloaded the Latest release for CTI-L4T Bsp layer (L4T r32.4.4 - Jetpack -4.4.1 which is release like 2 weeks ago only as per release notes)

I followed the instruction on the install guide of CTI-L4T and flashed the SOM using Devkit with this customised BSP layer.

• After Flashing, Devkit boots the device but there’s NO HDMI output from it. When I connect the SOM to Astro Carrier board, HDMI output is coming on the astro board and now USB also starts working, But as soon as the device boots up, Fan switches off when the login screen comes up on the monitor.

Following is the summary for what I just explained above

• Has someone verified the CTI-L4T BSP layer for jetpack 4.4.1, it has been released recently so thought of posting it here, any leads would be very helpful

FYI: @cnoble-cti

Hi Suhail.m -

It looks like our Tech Support team is helping you work through this. If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out through our customer support form - you can find it here: Customer Support Form - Connect Tech Inc..

Happy Holidays!
Jacki

Thanks @jross for quick response.

Did you get an answer to this? I am seeing a similar thing although I am using JetPack 4.5 - L4T r32.5

@mike.kranz , They have changed the BSP layer such that, by default after bootup fan will remain turned off. When the Jetson board hit a temperature above 50 degree Celsius, Fan turn on automatically and cools off the board till 30-35 degree and turns off again. They changed the BSP for power efficiency.

You can check the internal temperature by installing:

$ sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

Then use the following command to run:

$ sensors

or for continuous monitoring

$ watch sensors

To manually turn on the fan to full speed, you would have to use the following command:

echo 255 > /sys/devices/pwm-fan/target_pwm

To turn off the fan, you would have to use the following command:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/pwm-fan/target_pwm