Fastboot or U-Boot ?

I know that fastboot and u-boot are both bootloaders, but past that I don’t have a clue.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is ?

And why I would want to use over the other ?

How can I tell what my TK1 is using now ?

Thanks,
JT

Not sure, but I think I answered my own question.

fastboot = Must be built and flashed from a linux host.

u-boot = Must be self-hosted on the TK1, built and then “flashed” using a loop device on the same host.

If I still have not got this correct, I hope one of you will point me in the correct direction.

Thanks,
JT

Both boot loaders need to set up firmware and then hand off to a kernel image.

Both boot loader binary components are inaccessible from the root file system. However, U-boot has its data in “/boot”, while fastboot configuration is not available in the root partition ("/boot"). This means all changes to fastboot require a flash, while any changes to u-boot (other than the binary itself) can be accomplished by editing or copying files in a running system’s “/boot”. Even the firmware can be changed in “/boot” if you use U-boot.

Fastboot was default in the R19.x L4T series. U-boot is default starting at R21.x series.

You might install fastboot if this is a production product and nobody is allowed to mess with boot parameters. U-boot is probably good for everything else. The downside of having fastboot to avoid access to boot parameters is that you would have to have the unit sent to the factory and your support team would flash the unit (possibly having to deal with backup and restore of user data).

Ah, ok…

That clears it all up.

Sounds like for development I would be better off sticking with u-boot.

Thanks,
JT