Fastboot

Can you tell me what fastboot is?

I looked it up and it seems to have been supported by the previous jetpack.

Does jetpack still support fastboot?

Are there any related documents?

Long ago, in the earlier 32-bit days, fastboot was the bootloader. This eventually migrated to U-Boot (“Das U-Boot”). Fastboot was a more streamlined bootloader, but everything was also hard coded. You couldn’t do simple things without recompiling it. U-Boot gradually replaced this due to being just as compatible, and yet being much more flexible. I suppose some people might have developed under U-Boot, and then switched to fastboot for shipping products if there was an intent to not allow an end user to configure boot.

No 64-bit Jetson supports this. Earlier 64-bit Jetsons used U-Boot (it is 32-bit, but it is a boot chain capable of transferring execution to a 64-bit environment).

Gradually CBoot (NVIDIA’s CPU Boot), which already ran before going to U-Boot (chain loading from early boot stages to CBoot, and then CBoot to U-Boot) began to import features which were compatible and equivalent to U-Boot. When CBoot had enough features which matched the features of U-Boot it eventually replaced U-Boot. All of this is over a long period of time, and for JetPack 4.x or earlier.

Incidentally, the “driver package” is what flashes from the host PC, and JetPack/SDK Manager is just a front end to the driver package. Fastboot was from a time when JetPack did not exist. Later on JetPack did not have SDK Manager, which in turn is a network layer on top of JetPack, e.g., for downloading dependencies. Any software for bootloaders mentioned up to this point implies either command line driver package flash, or indirectly through JetPack 4.x or earlier (depending on version, this might or might not include SDKM). A given L4T release (which is Ubuntu plus NVIDIA drivers) is tied to a specific JetPack release. It is the L4T R34.x+ (tied to JetPack 5.x+) which dumps the earlier boot content and migrates to UEFI (not fastboot and not U-Boot; I’m not sure to what extent CBoot is skipped). I think UEFI is a better concept.

Doesn’t NANO also support fastboot mode?

I’ve never seen anyone mention this since the days of TK1. There might be docs out there on “faster” boot, but “fastboot” itself is a bootloader, and I don’t think this has been ported to 64-bit Nanos.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.