Feddor 31 No X after vmlinuz-5.4.17-200.fc31.x86_64*

Using a GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER. Tried a number of kernels since. Currently using NVIDIA Driver 440.64. Last kernel tried is
vmlinuz-5.6.0-0.rc7.git1.1.vanilla.knurd.1.fc31.x86_64*. Get complaints about no screens defined. I posted all of this someplace on the NVIDIA forums, but have no idea how to find it.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post. You will have to rename the file ending to something else since the forum software doesn’t accept .gz files (nifty!).

Well I did do this some time ago. When run with the version that works, there are no errors so really nothing to report. When run wth the ones that don’t work, X isn’t loaded, and the tool doesn’t run when run from a console. So which of these would make any sense??

Without logs, I don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking of.

I’m saying that X won’t start with Linux kernels after vmlinuz-5.6.0-0.rc7.git1.1.vanilla.knurd.1.fc31.x86_64. If it doesn’t start X, then nvidia-bug-report.sh will not run. If you want a bug report for the case that runs, I can provide that, but it will just indicate that all works. So do you really want me to provide a bug report that will report no errors, or would rather have the message that say it won’t run. I can deal with either choice.

Can you ssh into the box when X doesn’t start up to run nvidia-bug-report.sh? A common pitfall on kernel changes is a changed gcc. Do the system gcc and the gcc version the kernel was compiled with match?

" doesn’t run from console" is a bit odd, it’s a simple cli script. Does it run with option --safe-mode?

nvidia-bug-report.log (875.7 KB)

File has been uploaded. I swear it didn’t work for me in the past, but I had not problem just now. Sorry about that. So maybe this gives you something to work with.,

Many Thanks,
Fred

Ok, the driver simply doesn’t compile. While 440.64 already got patched to compile with 5.6RC kernels it seems there have been kernel changes afterwards so it broke again. Maybe check with rpmfusion if they already have patches available.

I followed instructions at rpmfusion, and it did make a differnce. It seemed to come closer to starting X, that was good. But it would not even let me get into a console, so that was really bad. At least my kernel 5.4.17-200 still works.