Feedback wanted: deploying executable/library created by CE

Good morning, all.
There are a few things I couldn’t see in the CE FAQ and would like to ask to those who use it:

• The PC that hosts the compiler uses the LM license server so it controls the usage of the compiler. When it generates an executable or shared library, does the computer on which it will be deployed need to have LM server too?
  • Do executables/libraries generated by CE also have an expiration date?
  • Do you, programmers using PGI, generate your timed “evaluation” releases with the Community Edition, or it is a problem you have to deal yourself with?

If you can provide your feedback on any of these question, it will be great.

Hi Saulocpp,

• The PC that hosts the compiler uses the LM license server so it controls the usage of the compiler. When it generates an executable or shared library, does the computer on which it will be deployed need to have LM server too?

I don’t believe so. The compiler will contact the LM license server to check-out and validate a license. The CE edition ships with a trial license that should be valid for one year. The computer that the

• Do executables/libraries generated by CE also have an expiration date?

No. Only executables generated with starter and trial keys will stop working. Executables/libraries generated by the CE should continue to work even once the CE license expires.

• Do you, programmers using PGI, generate your timed “evaluation” releases with the Community Edition, or it is a problem you have to deal yourself with?

Not quite sure what you mean here. The CE and the for-fee versions of PGI are the same feature-wise. It is my understanding that we generally designate the xx.4 and xx.10 releases to be CE. All other releases we push throughout the year are available only for license holders. Hence, it is a longer releases cycle for those on the CE if, for example, you are waiting for a bug fix from us.

Hope that answers your questions. Write back if something is unclear or you have further questions.