Flash OS problem on jetson tx2.

I tried to add virtual memory on jetson tx2, maybe I did something wrong, the screen flash quickly,I can not do any operation and can’t open terminal, then I tried to flash OS, I followed the official step, but when I write ‘lsusb’ on the host terminal, there was no ‘NVIDIA Corp’.

Is there some suggestion? thanks!

How did you try to add virtual memory? Did you use “mkswap” and “swapon”? Or “mkswap” and edit “/etc/fstab”?

FYI, anything you do in a booted TX2 will have no effect on whether recovery mode works or not. If you use the micro-B USB cable from the TX2’s micro-OTG USB connector, and go to the host PC, the put the TX2 in recovery mode (hold down the recovery button while powering up or resetting power), then “lsusb -d -955:7c18” should show a TX2. Recovery mode in and of itself does not edit or change the Jetson, but it does put the Jetson in another state where it becomes a device the driver package understands from the host PC end. If for some reason lsusb does not show the TX2, then either it isn’t in recovery mode or the cable is not correct (well, there could be hardware failure…a VM is essentially hardware failure until it is set up correctly, so don’t use a VM).

sorry, I forget which command I have Used. But I tried to use tty mode, it worked. Then I deleted some data in /home/nvidia and reboot, the screen did’t flash any more. I indeed use VM, when I write ‘lsusb’ in VM’s terminal, there was no information about the device, but when I write ‘lsusb’ in terminal of jetson, it showed my host computer brand. Maybe the VM did’t set up correctly, I will try Flash OS don’t use VM.

thanks for your reply.

Using a VM for host to flash is not supported. It can be made to work, but you will have to go through steps to make the recovery mode Jetson always go to the VM. I don’t use VMs, so I can’t tell you how to accomplish that. What it means is that the Jetson is probably doing as expected, but the VM was not set up completely.

When you say “but when I write ‘lsusb’ in terminal of jetson, it showed my host computer brand”, it sounds like your Jetson is used as a host…but if you are flashing this can’t be (recovery mode doesn’t run as a host). If you really meant that a Windows or other flavor of Linux hosting the VM shows something, then that is a sign the host failed to pass through to the VM.

You are right, I used Jetson as a host to test if USB is connected. Then I installed Windows and Ubuntu16.04 double system, used Ubuntu to flash, and OS flashed correctly. When the OS flashed completely, TX2 rebooted as a host, and I did nothing. Then it showed an error on CUDA, Here is the information:

Error: CUDA cannot be installed on device. This may be caused by other apt-get command running on device when installing CUDA. Please use apt-get command in a terminal to make sure following packages are installed correctly on device before continuing:
cuda-toolkit-9-0 libgompl libfreeimage-dev libopenmpi-dev openmpi-bin
After these package are installed on device, please Enter key to continue.

So what’s problem of this?

The CUDA install issue is fairly common, but I have not run into it myself. See:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1032344/jetson-tx2/install-failure-unmet-dependencies/post/5277822/#5277822

If the above does not help, post again and be sure to mention the version of JetPack or L4T you are using (“head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release” gives L4T version).

While working on it though, keep in mind that you can run JetPack at any time you want without flashing…be sure to uncheck the flash step. I also recommend first installing only CUDA…once past that you can add other packages more easily. When you run JetPack at a later date do not use recovery mode, and don’t bother with the micro-B USB cable. Do find the IP address of the Jetson prior to starting the flash program, as automatically finding its address only works after a flash. Watch the console in JetPack for when it wants a password or address.

Thanks for your help, I will try according to your advice. I also have some questions: VersionWorks, CUDA, CUDNN, TensorRT, OpenCV and Multimedia API can be insatlled to TX2 via JetPack, these software must use JetPack to insatll?
What’s the difference between Ubuntu on device and General PC? Other needed software can be installed just use Jetson?