Flashing D3 Kernel on a Tx2i

Hi,

i’m having some troubles getting the D3 Camera Interface Card to work with my Tx2i.
So i followed the Instructions from Github (https://github.com/D3Engineering/d3-jetson-bsp/tree/d3/2.0.0) and everything seems to go right. None of the scripts are returning an error.
But in the end when I reboot the system the HDMI output only shows the Nvidia Logo.
When looking at the boot info via serial connector everything seems right. The new Kernel is loaded an I can acces the Jetson Modul.

The leds on the D3 Card are lightning up but there is no current cosumption, although i connected the camera to it. The nvgstcapture script doesen’t find a camera.
I’m using JetPack 4.2.2.

So does anybody tried to uses the d3 Camera interface Card with Tx2i and can share his/her experience with me ??

I cannot help with the camera, but something to check any time you work on kernels: Run “uname -r”, and see if the modules are in the path “/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/”. Whoever answers will also want to see a serial console boot log.

Hi n.ferreira,

I think there have been a few emails exchanged between either you or your colleagues and folks from D3. Can you refresh my memory on which cameras you are using?

If you are stuck on the NVIDIA logo at boot that is very likely to be a device tree issue. Which device tree do you install?

Thanks,
Greg

Hi,

I attached the serial console boot log.

I’m using the camera: d3cm imx390 camera module
100406-08 (https://store.d3engineering.com/product/designcore-d3cm-imx390-camera-module/)
along with the Jetson Serdes Sensor Interface Card
(https://store.d3engineering.com/product/designcore-nvidia-jetson-serdes-card/)

I installed the d3-tx2-cic.dtb.

LogKernel.log (78.5 KB)

Is this still getting stuck at the NVIDIA logo during boot?

The log file looks good. Please add the active_overlays parameter in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

LABEL d3
    MENU LABEL D3
    LINUX /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.140+0.0.1-276+
    APPEND ${cbootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 active_overlays=imx390rcm_0

This will tell our overlay-manager driver to active a device tree overlay that will result in the imx390rcm module loading.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi,

unfortunately it’s still stuck at the nvidia logo.
after i added the active_overlay parameter to the extlinux.conf i’ve recognized a current consumption of ~100 mA.
But again I’m stuck at the nvidia logo.

Stuck at logo means it probably fails to boot up. Better sharing the boot up log.

WayneWWW is right. I didn’t expect to see the kernel log that you provided if it’s stuck on the NVIDIA logo.

I recommend flashing JetPack 4.2.2 and applying the D3 BSP v2.0.0 on top of that. Our BSP includes the kernel image package and a utilities package.

Thanks,
Greg

We’ve assigned someone to look into your issue and attempt to reproduce the problem. Please let us know if you have any updates.

The boot log in the more recent post (#4) shows a successful boot and waiting for login. Is this boot (from that log) somehow different from times when only a logo shows up? I’m probably getting mixed up, but I don’t think it is possible to hold the NVIDIA logo and also reach a login prompt on serial console.

Hi, this is the boot log when only the Logo shows up.
Thats what confusing me.

Yeah, the serial log you pasted in previous comments showing the system is ready and waiting for you to login.

I guess there are something wrong in display driver, could you login and then dump the dmesg with us?

You might also want to post logs from “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” (or it might be “/var/log/Xorg.1.log” in some cases, but it will always exclude the word “old”).

Hi,
i’ve attached the requested log files.

dmesg.log (56.4 KB) Xorg.0.log (10.5 KB)

I noticed in your log that you’re using your own build: For the purpose of debugging can you use the D3 binary build? Once that works we can move on to supporting your custom build.

[    0.000000] Linux version 4.9.140+ (nboe@SSENB33Linux) (gcc version 7.5.0 (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.5.0-3ubuntu1~18.04) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 14 08:56:28 CEST 2020

If possible, go to the file “/etc/X11/xorg.conf”, and add this within the Section "Device":

Option "ModeDebug"

…and then boot and include a new copy of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Also, with the system fully booted and monitor attached, what do you see from:

sudo -s
cat `find /sys -name edid`
exit

Can you describe this monitor in more detail, or better yet, do you have a URL to the monitor’s specs?

Does anything show up if you detach and reattach the HDMI cable (HDMI is hot plug)?

Hi,

i’ve attached the new log File, although I didn’t noticed any diffrenece.
the command:

sudo -s
cat find /sys -name edid
exit

showed: cat find /sys -name edid : No such file or directory

the monitor I’m using is from iiyama: prolite x2888hs
(https://iiyama.com/de_de/produkte/prolite-x2888hs-b2/)

Xorg.0.log (10.5 KB)

Hi,

i’m not quite sure which binary builds you mean. Maybe i miss out something.
Are the binary builds included on github ?

Starting with the 2.0.0 release we have been posting builds to GitHub. There are instructions contained within the release archive but feel free to ask here and I’ll help with whatever you need.

In a nutshell the installation process for 2.0.0 is:

1. Flash JetPack 4.2.2
  2. Install our linux-image .deb
  3. Install our d3-jetson-util .deb
  4. Install the correct dtb using d3-install-dtb
  5. Restart (I recommend power cycling)

That list is from memory so please do consult documentation in the archive for full details.

Thanks,
Greg

i followed the instruction in the pdf about installing the D3 binary build.
unfortunately the result remains the same, no current consumption and stuck at the nvidia logo. i’ve attached the boot log and dmesg file.

dmesg.log (58.1 KB)

LogKernelNew.log (78.8 KB)