What is happening?
DDPX & DRIVE AGX Xavier Flashing failures seen when users upgrade host ubuntu Linux kernel version to 4.15.0-45
After the kernel update, DDPX & DRIVE AGX Xavier flashing fails with the following message:
ttyUSB3 resource is not available:
cat: /dev/ttyUSB3: Resource temporarily unavailable
What is impacted?
Anyone with host Ubuntu updated to Linux Kernel 4.15.0-45
Root cause analysis status:
The issue has been root caused to a host ubuntu Linux kernel change that was done in mainline x86 kernel. The issue is causing widespread problems and mainline kernel developers are working to fix the issue
How to work around this issue?
The only workaround available now is to downgrade the Linux kernel version
- In case of flashing fail with above mentioned error, it is recommended to check kernel version of the host with “uname -r”.
- If the kernel version is 4.15.0-45 or above, it is recommended to capture flashing and target logs and then downgrade the kernel version before flashing. Host kernel version can be reverted after flashing completed, if needed.
- • Follow the following instructions to downgrade the kernel with Grub.
- Edit /etc/default/grub and change the value of “GRUB_TIMEOUT” to 10 seconds
- Save your work and reboot your computer
- When the grub interface comes up you will have 10 seconds to switch to “Advanced Options”
- In advanced options you will have a list of available kernels you can boot with. Select one which lower version than 4.15.0-45 and booting will continue with that kernel
- Change in GRUB_TIMEOUT in /etc/default/grub, to reasonable amount of time, like 5 or 10 sec, to start working with grub on booting the host.
- Go to advanced options, then select the earlier version than 4.15.0-45.
- To go back to the previous (newer) kernel follow the steps above and pick the newer kernel to boot with.