Flashing using the SDKManager: stuck at "please complete system configuration setup"

Hi!

I’m using the SDKManger 1.4.1.7402 to flash the Jetson Xavier with Jetpack 4.5 (or 4.5.1).

The host is a Ubuntu 18, and the Jetson is connected to a keyboard and a monitor.

After the Ubuntu configuration (language, keyboard, username/password, the “mode 15W desktop” setting) I see the progress bar for the configuration… and nothing happens. I think it’s Ubuntu’s login screen, but without the login fields.

If I go on the tty1 terminal I see “please complete system configuration setup on desktop to proceed”. If I go on te tty2 terminal, I can actually log in. I do not see anything special with dmesg.

On the host side, I cannot continue the procedure with SSH.

I cannot software-shutdown the Jetson cleanly since I cannot use sudo. After a hardware-restart I have to start all over again (language/keyboard/etc…), but this time it remembers my previous setting for the language and keyboard.

Note that it’s not my first flashing and don’t remember having any problem.

Does anyone knows what I can do to fix that?

Hi! Is there someone who can help me? Thank you.

Hi @francois.plessier ,

You posted in the Frameworks category, I am going to move this to the Jetson AGX Xavier forum for better visibility.

Best,
Tom

1 Like

Wow, I don’t even know how I ended in the wrong forum… anyway, thank you for helping me!

1 Like

Connect your ubuntu host to the jetson xavier through the flash port/cable. Open /dev/ttyACM0 on your host side with minicom. And it will give you a headless configuration to finish this “system configuration”.

1 Like

Hi and thank you for your help!

I don’t get anything but a blank screen with minicom -D /dev/ttyACM0
(also tried `gtkterm)

Other things I tried that did not work:

• updating the SDKManager
  • powering off properly with systemctl poweroff as it doesn’t ask for sudo. BTW, I find it weird that I cannot sudo, is it normal I still cannot do it at this stage?

Also I forgot to mention it, but this Xavier DevKit comes from a RMA process. Could it be the reason for my problem?

Please retry the ttyACM0 more times. Sometimes it has delay to show up.

I tried the minicom command several times, waiting waited up to 5min, and I did so right after the flashing then at the frozen login screen then after rebooting… and nothing appeared on the terminal.

The ttyACM0 device is here: it appears as soon as the flashing is over. Also when I reboot, minicom gives me a disconnection warning so I guess the connection is on.

Do you see anything else I can try? I can use the tty2 terminal on Ubuntu (but cannot sudo).

Then the last thing you can try is with this debug script I shared long time ago.

Jetson Nano all USB ports suddenly stopped working - #37 by WayneWWW

I don’t guarantee this would still make system work normally or not. But at least you can bypass the system configuration. Also, I would like to check your log after your setup is done.

Thank you!

I’m not sure I understand

put this script under Linux_for_Tegra

Is this a folder I should see in the Ubuntu host? I only see a “L4T_README” and the corresponding drive is mounted with the ro (read only) flag and I cannot write anything to it even with sudo.

For the logs, my only solution would be to put them on a USB key, however I do not have any USB-A hub at this moment, so the only USB-A plug available is for the keyboard. I can have the hub on Tuesday.

Linux_for_Tegra is the driver package that downloaded by sdkmanager. Sdkmanager is just a GUI tool but the core function is still the Linux_for_Tegra. Search your host computer and you shall find it. The default path should be ~/nvidia if your sdkmanager downloads it correctly.

Hi @WayneWWW

Sorry for these few days without input…

I’m pretty sure I’ve found out what the problem was. I didn’t have enough disk space on my main Linux (ext4) partition to download the package and prepare the L4T image, so I used my Windows (ntfs) data partition.

I found out how to free a lot of space (it was docker…) so I tried using the main Linux drive to prepare the L4T image and the installation worked!

Extra tips for noobs: I had first “uninstall” the L4T image on my Windows partition in order to change the location, and did so clicking the “repair/uninstall” tool in Step 1 of the SDKManager.

Thanks for your help!
François

1 Like

I think that may explain why some other users also hit such kind of problem but we cannot find the cause.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Since I’m sure many people use a dual boot system with quite a greedy partitioning for Linux, here’s a potential trick (haven’t tried it) when disk space is insufficient: using an ext4 formatted USB key (or external drive) to prepare the L4T image would preserve the exact files/folders permissions and avoid the install problem seen with (Windows) ntfs partitions.

Can confirm I had the same issue here and fixed it by installing from a host with more free diskspace. Would be great if you could include a check whether there is enough free space before starting the install!