Following call fails with 313.30 on Ubuntu 13.04: nvidia-settings -q UsedDedicatedGPUMemory

May not be the best forum for this…

Trying to rout an output into conky, the ‘nvidia-settings -q all’ command works and outputs the UsedDedicatedGPUMemory value (along with all others) as expected and other commands I have tried such as ‘nvidia-settings -q GPUCoreTemp’ output as expected. What doesn’t output at all is ‘nvidia-settings -q UsedDedicatedGPUMemory’ or ‘TotalDedicatedGPUMemory’. Note that i have found what looks to be this same issue in another forum (dead thread) without a solution.

Doesn’t work:

#@#:~$ nvidia-settings -q UsedDedicatedGPUMemory

#@#:~$

Works:

#@#:~$ nvidia-settings -q GPUCoreTemp

Attribute 'GPUCoreTemp' (kurt-EP45-UD3P:0.0): 73.
    'GPUCoreTemp' is an integer attribute.
    'GPUCoreTemp' is a read-only attribute.
    'GPUCoreTemp' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.

#@#:~$

Driver: 313.30
CPU: Intel Duo core Duo E8500 (OC 3.8)
GPU: EVGA, GTX 260

Nvidia Driver I am using is just the highest option from Ubuntu’s list. I don’t really want to go through the hassle of upgrading manually unless it is ‘known’ that the upgrade fixes a bug.

It doesn’t fail, it just doesn’t get the corresponding information from NVML. NVIDIA after some driver version a while back that I cannot remember offhand (before the 300s) decided to not output that information for GPUs that are not Quadro/Tesla/GRID K1&K2 – essentially their higher end line.

Recently a user wrote a ‘shim’ that re-enables the functionality:
(You’ll need to upgrade the NVIDIA drivers to either 325.08, 319.32, 319.23 for the below to work)

You should be able to add the xorg-edgers repository and install nvidia-319, that’s what I did to test the patch and it works – installing it from the repo’s avoids having to compile the driver manually if your kernel changes later on.

Compile and set up the ‘shim’ below, and see if your command returns an actual output afterwards. Even if it doesn’t, at that point, nvidia-smi should report the same information you’re looking for then.

Oh, I see. I’ll give that a go. Thank you!