For other newbie regarding fstab, vi editor and the nvidea training videos verses code below it

Hi. I’m not sure if this is everyone’s experience or if I am especially stupid and impatient. I just spent the last hour trying to FOLLOW instructions in this training course but got stuck googling and lost on stack exchange out how to insert a line in the fstab.

there is this instruction for code below the video that is to be executed in the terminal, but the instruction video takes you to the fstab file where you need the vi editor commands to stay with her. It’s tricky as a beginner to even know what to fricken google to try and figure this stuff out. Once I was able to identify the instructor was using vi editor then I could look up the commands. so for others the vi command to insert might be (because I have been trying so much I’m not sure if I’ll actually be able to reboot but I am hopeful)

1. insert = i or maybe CTRL+ i
  2. enter /mnt/4GB.swap swap swap defaults 0 0
  3. after this hit ESC to get out of insert mode
  4. then type :wq

and maybe if you don’t follow along with the video and just add this code to the terminal your fstab will get all set up without vi editor commands, but again-new person so who knows-stands to reason and is much more straight forward than the vi editor with no reference, but I didn’t do that personally.

Append the following line to /etc/fstab

sudo echo “/mnt/4GB.swap swap swap defaults 0 0” >> /etc/fstab

It would be super duper awesome if the trainers could put this info on the page with this training about the video.  Because if you are following along you cannot get out of fstab without knowing she is actually editing in vi editor (or maybe you can-I couldn't figure it out)

Thanks @sromain, will pass that on to the DLI team. By the way, you might find the ‘nano’ editor easier to use, that’s what I use. You can install it with sudo apt-get install nano

Thanks- what makes any of this easy is good documentation. It’s terrifying to go from Arduino work to the rest of computer “science” which seems to consider documentation optional.

It appears that the actual course documentation does already reference the echo-based command, it’s just in the video that it was done with vi. It’s recommended to follow the documentation alongside the videos.