Frame Lock with Quadro Sync on Lubuntu

Hello,

I’m can’t enable GPU Frame Lock using the internal ribbon cables with Quadro Sync I card.
The computer specs are:

Model: HP Z820

CPU: (2) Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz

GPU: (3) Nvidia Quadro K5000

Driver: Nvidia 396.24

On the sync card, three Frame Lock sync status LEDs are solid amber indicating:

“GPU present but not synchronized”

as specified here: https://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/146566/quadro-sync-user-guide.pdf

When I try to add a device through the Nvidia X Server Settings, I get the following error:

"Unable to add devices to frame lock group
Unable to connect to X Display ‘obj4-plt:0’ "

The X Display name is taken from the X Server Information under Nvidia X Server Settings.

Note, that I am able to a create single mosaic across all GPUs. Confirming to me that the connection is present.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Well, its been a while, but i am struggling with exactly the same problem.

did you find any solution?

Thanks
Johannes

Hello. Yes. It is more difficuly with Linux, but can be done.

From Nvidia Architect, Bill VanDyken:

While some of the attributes will persist, sync will not enable after a reboot without scripting it. Please refer to the documentation here:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/340.104/README/framelock.html

I reference the documentation because the driver, sync and GPU are very old and my description below may not be entirely applicable to your components.

Typically the method I use with current Quadro Sync II and Pascal Cards:

complete the display configuration and make sure the behavior is the way you want it in the final configuration.
Reboot the system to verify the config survives a reboot.
Then use the GUI to set up sync and verify there is no tearing or other artifact.
Run the command nvidia-settings -q dpys |grep -I connected # make note of the aliases for each display connector in use dpy:X and DP-X

dpy:X will be used with nvidia-settings from the CLI to set the attributes in your final script.

Run the command nvidia-settings -q gpus # this is the list of aliases for your GPU(s)
Run the command nvidia-settings -q -A |grep -I frame # this will be a long list of different framelock attributes and their current setting
Figure out the command syntax for nvidia-settings to set-up frame sync from the command line, then when you’re sure each component line works, build the script

The script you create should be similar to this example:

### Disable Frame Lock

nvidia-settings -c :0 -a :0[gpu:0]/FrameLockEnable=0

### Configure Frame Lock

nvidia-settings -c :0 -a “:0[framelock:0]/FramelockUseHouseSync=0” -a “:0[dpy:7]/FrameLockDisplayConfig=2” \

-a “:0[dpy:5]/FrameLockDisplayConfig=1” -a “:0[dpy:14]/FrameLockDisplayConfig=1” \

-a “:0[dpy:16]/FrameLockDisplayConfig=1” -a “:0[dpy:23]/FrameLockDisplayConfig=1” \

-a “:0[dpy:25]/FrameLockDisplayConfig=1”

### Enable Frame Lock

nvidia-settings -c :0 -a :0[gpu:0]/FrameLockEnable=1