Framerate drops when external screen is connected any kind of video is playing with RTX 3070 laptop GPU

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (446.0 KB)
Hi,

My laptop with a RTX 3070 has a refresh rate of 165hz(can only get it to 144hz) and I have an external screen (180hz) hooked up through displayport, both at a 1440 resolution.
Whenever I try to play a YouTube video or use Google Meet or Teams, the framerate on both display drops to something like 10hz. Switching to a different tab makes the frame drops go away while the video is still playing.
Funnily enough, gaming performance does not seem to be impacted as I can easily achieve 144hz on 1440 with all settings set to the maximum in Doom Eternal for instance using that seem dual screen setup.
I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 with the 5.15.0-43-generic kernel.
Can someone help me try to figure out what is going on?

You’re running gnome with wayland, the internal display is driven by the intel igpu. Sounds your issues are related to chrome/chromium/electron, though I don’t know whether this is running wayland native or Xwayland is used in your scenario.
Very hard to say which component is causing this, already tried a different browser, e.g. firefox (wayland/Xwayland)?