free form accelerator code

I tried a simple matrix addition test. I tried compiling and got the following message:

[gschoend@exalted acctest]$ pgfortran -ta=nvidia,time -Mcuda -Minfo -mcmodel=medium test.f90
PGF90-W-0155-Accelerator region ignored; no parallel kernels found (test.f90: 33)
test:
33, No parallel kernels found, accelerator region ignored
0 inform, 1 warnings, 0 severes, 0 fatal for test
/share/apps/pgi/linux86-64/12.2/libso/libacc1.so: undefined reference to `__pgi_cu_close_noprof’

However, if I indent everything six spaces to use fixed form code, then there is no problem compiling. Does anyone know why there would be an issue with the parallel region in version 12.2? Also, I can compile and run this just fine with version 12.1 as long as I use fixed form. Free form code gives the same error as above.

!  Requires mcmodel=medium to avoid exceeding 2GB limit
program test
  use accel_lib
  implicit double precision(a-h,o-z)
  parameter (lda=10000)
  integer :: i, j, t_host, t1_host, t2_host
  integer :: t_d, t1_d, t2_d
  double precision, dimension(lda,lda) :: a, b, c, d, e, a1, b1

!  Fix a1 and b1 before continuing
!  Construct a and b matrices
  do i=1,lda
    do j=1,lda
      a(i,j)=(i+j)*0.5
      b(i,j)=(i-j)*0.5
    end do
  end do

call acc_init( acc_device_nvidia )
  call system_clock(count=t1_host)
!  c=a+b
  do i=1,lda
    do j=1,lda
      c(i,j)=a(i,j)+b(i,j)
    end do
  end do
  call system_clock(count=t2_host)
  t_host = t2_host - t1_host

call system_clock(count=t1_d)
!  d=a+b
!$acc region
  do i=1,lda
    do j=1,lda
      d(i,j)=a(i,j)+b(i,j)
    end do
  end do
!$acc end region
  call system_clock(count=t2_d)
  t_d = t2_d - t1_d

print *, t_host, ' microseconds on the host'
  print *, t_d, ' microseconds on GPU'

end program

[/code]

Hi gsch42,

33, No parallel kernels found, accelerator region ignored

This is being caused by dead code elimination optimisation. The compiler recognises that the c and d arrays are never used outside of the assignment so removes them. Hence, the loops become empty and there is nothing to parallelize. To fix, add a print statement that prints out at least one value for c and d.

I tried to replicate your behaviour of the fixed versus free format, but was unable. My guess is some other change in your code caused it to work with fixed format, not the format itself.

/share/apps/pgi/linux86-64/12.2/libso/libacc1.so: undefined reference to `__pgi_cu_close_noprof’

This is our error when we built our acc shared library which gets linked in when -mcmodel-medium is used. This will be fixed in the 12.3 release.

Best Regards,
Mat