Frozen or Black screen just by browsing a google map. or other graphic intensive stuff

I have and ongoing issue with blank screen / lockups. THE ONLY WAY OUT IT VIA THE POWER BUTTON. I run linux mint 20 and its happened in all previous versions. I’m on Linux Mint 20 now. Dell 8700 with a gforce 650 and I have tried all the drivers available, and have updated again today. Ive tried 340, 390, 460, 470, and nouveau where its really bad, It can be triggered when I browse something semi heavy graphics like google maps, I can scroll a map in detail for a few minutes then i zoom in and get a lockup or a blank screen.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (320.3 KB)

Nov 22 11:46:57 denIis-Den-Puter kernel: [174237.728991] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 79, pid=4294967295, GPU has fallen off the bus.
Nov 22 11:46:57 denIis-Den-Puter kernel: [174237.728994] NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: GPU has fallen off the bus.

Under load most often caused by either overheating or lack of power. Please monitor temperatures using nvidia-smi or nvidia-settings, reseat power connectors, check/replace psu.

GOOD INFO THANKS

I’ve taken your advice and setup monitoring. Is this normal running temps?

PSENSOR.png

No, it’s idling at 59°C and peaked at 88°C while doing desktop stuff, that’s not good, should be in the 30-50°C range. Please check whether your fans are running at all, clean fans and heat spreader. If that doesn’t help to get the temperatures down, the thermal compound between gpu and heat spreader might have dried up so you’ll have to disassemble and re-paste.

OMG - I hope this helps you folks in future cases. It appears I took a Dell desktop with windows, installed Linux. Neither the dell bios nor Linux has fan control services. NONE OF MY FANS RUN AT PROPER SPEED, JUST LOW SPEED. The CPU is too hot as well!!!

There is no good Linux software to solve it. It’s all very murky. I am considering installing a fan control hub as a hardware based solution.

You should first check for a bios upgrade.

Yes thanks I am doing that now

In “Nvidia x server settings” utility there is a fan speed controller but recess upon each reboot. Can I do something more with that?

Dennis

You could install a fan control service like nvfanctrl or the like.

Yes thanks I’ve been looking into this as an option. there aren’t any good choices for Linux

Dennis

Just an fyi. Maybe this will help others

I’m hoping to look into the Nvidia config file and permanently set the fan at 60- 70%. If I set it, it goes back to 25% upon restart. Failing that, I’m going to add a fan controller to that fan.

I’ve ordered two of these fan controllers one for the case fan one for the CPU fan. They use a temperature probe and provide variable output to control the speed of the fan.

I think the Nvidia card will be a lot happier if the entire cabinet temperature is brought down. My CPU is running around 90° as well which is too high

Dennis