FX Composer 2.5 Startup Problem

Hello,
I couldn’t find a forum topic for FX Composer 2.5, but I see on FX Composer’s page to refer to nsight visual studio edition. Is this the forum section I should be using for FX Composer 2.5? If not, could somebody please point me to the right area?

In case it is, my problem is the following:
I have installed FX Composer 2.5, the Shader Debugger, and Python 2.4.4 via this page’s link - https://developer.nvidia.com/fx-composer
After running FX Composer, I see the loading logo, then I get a Windows popup that says FXComposer2.exe has stopped working, and the problem must close.
I’m on a Lenovo laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M card, Windows 8.1, and an Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU.
I’ve tried Windows’ compatability troubleshooter, and one of the attempts was to run it in Windows 7. I’ve gotten it running on another laptop, so I’m fairly certain I didn’t screw up the installation process 5 times now, but anything is possible and I’m willing to attempt all suggestions.
Please let me know if more information is necessary.

UPDATE 1
The application suddenly started working, though I’m not sure why. I’ll update this post again if I ever figure out what the problem was.

Hi

I have same kind of problem (“After running FX Composer, I see the loading logo, then I get a Windows popup that says FXComposer2.exe has stopped working, and the problem must close.”). It’s not working on my desktop or laptop. Both have nVidia graphics card (570 / 520M) and Windows 8.1

From event viewer:

Faulting application name: FXComposer2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fbeef28
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d45fa
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0007f6e0
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15

FXComposer2.exe
4fbeef28
ntdll.dll
523d45fa
c0000005
0007f6e0

Hello,

As stated in the FXComposer page, FXComposer is no longer in development, therefore if you could please use NVIDIA Nsight, it should have the features you are looking for.

Thanks

I have been experiencing the same problem.

I am sorry. But I just can´t understand how could I consider Nsight an alternative to FX Composer as an shader authoring tool.

You can’t that’s obviously silly. As for getting fx composer 2.5 to work under windows 8.1 me and my friend both experienced the same problem but for some reason after installing with the OpenGL package disabled it ran.
I’m also not including the shader debugger. And it finally runs for both me and my mate now.
So hopefully this advice will work for others too. There really is no alternative to fx composer. It’s definitely a project I wish Nvidia would pick up again.

Hello !

I tried your advice, but i still have problem. I see my login screen and little later the program is stopped. I have GTX 660 Ti video card, and Windows 8.1 OS. But during installation i found an error message, name command line error with Microsofit Visual C++ 2005 Redistribute title.

Could you give some adive ?

Thank you in advance for your help

Yeah I’m afraid since then it no longer works for me either. It worked for me under windows 8 at one point but not under windows 8.1 unfortunately. If anyone finds a solution please do share it.

That is doesn’t work for me under windows 8.1 with more recent updates to windows included.