G-Sync compatibility with Vulkan

I tried XFCE and twm, same behaviour.

Ok, so it’s not the WM. Please remove all extra config files
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-screen.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
Though those are not setting anything obviously wrong, it’s better to test with a clean slate.

I tried without those 3 files, same behavior except my screen refresh rate is at 60hz instead of 144hz.
I’m surprised that Xorg is capable of starting without any configuration (never tried before).

Starting without any config is the preferred method, the refresh rate can be set in KDE’s monitor manager.
Doesn’t matter, though, since the bug is still present.

Could someone at Nvidia take a look at this issue ?

Sorry for the slow reply.

The Kepler series of GPUs weren’t really designed to support G-SYNC, so the OpenGL driver has to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to make it work. The extra code needed to make it work on Kepler is not compatible with Vulkan, so Vulkan applications running on Kepler will not be able to use G-SYNC.

However, Vulkan applications should at least run without crashing, even if they can’t use G-SYNC. Unfortunately I don’t have a Kepler GPU at home to test with and the office is still closed due to COVID-19.

Thank you @aplattner.
Is it possible to support it in a future driver release ? (Maybe the extra code can be adapted to vulkan).
The main problem I have is that without a compositor activated, vulkan is not working at all (no frames displayed). But maybe it is directly linked to G-SYNC.

From G-Sync & G-Sync HDR System Requirements we can see that kepler officialy support G-SYNC. I understand it could not be really designed to support it.

G-SYNC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
DESKTOP PC CONNECTED TO G-SYNC MONITOR:

Graphics Cards Supported: G-SYNC features require an NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 650 Ti BOOST GPU or higher.

Most recent games (and some old ones) require Vulkan to play on Linux.
Currently missing G-SYNC vulkan support for kepler family is really unfortunate.
@aplattner, do you think it is possible to do something to push it for a next release (if not too hard to code) ? (beta could be good for first delivery)

Hello,

Could someone from NVIDIA answer on this topic about Kepler + Vulkan not working with G-SYNC and if compositor is disabled also ?

Thank you

With many games and applications written in vulkan, could it be possible to fix KEPLER vulkan with compositor disabled (and verify G-SYNC) ?
To use vulkan app, I have to enable compositor and experience is really bad.
Thanks

Please, could you fix Vulkan driver for Kepler ?
Issue : Not working on disabled compositor and g-sync.

Thanks

Could someone at nvidia create a ticket to fix/implement Kepler Vulkan without compositor ?
Thank you

Dear nvidia support,
Could you take a look at nvidia kepler vulkan drivers not working if compositor disabled ?
Thank you

Vulkan is the reference to play windows games on linux now with steam play for example.
Due to the fact that vulkan drivers for Kepler not working with G-SYNC (or compositor disabled), image quality and fluidity are terrible.
Could someone at nVidia reply and tell if it is possible or not and if you will fix vulkan drivers for Kepler cards (even on beta drivers) ? As it is working with OpenGL and other cards, maybe it is not so hard to fix/implement…
I hope someone from nvidia is reading those lines.

We’ve reproduced the problem with fullscreen Vulkan apps not working without a compositor and it should be fixed in a future release.

1 Like

@aplattner, you would mean “with a compositor disabled”, right ?

I meant without a compositor, so yeah. :) I’ll edit the post.

Hello @aplattner
I don’t know if this issue has been fixed by latest vulkan drivers 455.34.01 with this changelog line: " Fixed an issue where Vulkan applications would fail to initialize if the connected X11 Server did not expose support for GLX [Linux] "
I think it is another issue because my X11 server exposes support for GLX.
I just installed this version and I have the same behavior on my Kepler. Not much surprised.
I’m keeping hope that this will be fixed soon.
Have a nice day

Hi,

I just installed and tested vulkan driver 455.46.01 and vulkan applications/games are now displaying when compositor is disabled ! Thank you very much !
Unfortunately, G-SYNC is still not working (white “NORMAL” instead of green “G-SYNC”, at top right indicator) and I got screen tearing.
I hope this is the first step and G-SYNC vulkan fix is in the backlog for a future release.

@aplattner, could you tell me if it is possible to open a new defect/ticket about G-SYNC on vulkan for Kepler architecture (if not part of the one already existing) ?
Again, maybe I can say in name of all Kepler owners, thanks a lot for this vulkan without compositor fix!

Dear Nvidia support team, could you tell me if it is possible to fix G-SYNC on vulkan for Kepler ?
Thanks a lot