G-Sync Mobile support? (970M)

Yeah would love some more support for this. There is plenty of hardware lying around to get your hands on…

Nothing more annoying than having hardware that you can’t make full use of… NVIDIA has improved a lot though lately with their drivers which is a plus. Comparisons between windows and linux performance are getting smaller :) hopefully soon to 0

My new Clevo P670RS with a 1070 is also affected. G-Sync works great in Windows, but the option to turn it on won’t show up in Linux. I am using the latest 370.28 drivers.

My ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6" G-sync GL502VM-DB71 doesn’t have G-Sync in nvidia-settings either.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234299

Sorry for the delay. I identified what I think is the problem and it should be fixed in the next release.

Hey people,

just letting you all know that a new driver is available, version 375.20.

link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/111596/en-us

Release highlights:

Added support for the following GPUs:
    GeForce GTX 1050
    GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    Quadro M620
    Quadro M5000 SE
    Quadro M3000 SE
Fixed a bug that could cause displays in SLI Mosaic to blank when applying a transformation matrix.
Added EGL support to the GL Vendor Neutral Dispatch Library (libGLVND). The installer package now includes both GLVND and non-GLVND versions of the EGL libraries: the --glvnd-egl-client and --no-glvnd-egl-client options in nvidia-installer can be used to select which to install.
Fixed a bug that prevented G-SYNC from working on notebook displays.

Fixed a bug that caused DisplayPort multistream devices to go blank after the console is restored.
Fixed a bug that caused a kernel crash when starting X for the second time when more than one DisplayPort multistream device is connected to a single DisplayPort connector via a branch device.
Updated nvidia-settings to not have a build-time dependence on an external nvml development package (a regression introduced in 375.10).
Fixed a crash in nvidia-settings when adding Application Profile Rule and Profile entries.
Removed the "Enable Tooltip" option in nvidia-settings for the GTK 2 interface.
Added new X configuration options:

ForceCompositionPipeline
ForceFullCompositionPipeline

which override the MetaMode tokens with the same names.

Fixed a bug that caused issues with panning and cursor constraining when mixing PRIME-driven displays with natively driven displays.
Fixed a bug that caused long delays when leaving the VT or disabling a display device while an OpenGL application is running.
Improved console restore behavior on systems that use the UEFI Graphics Output Protocol, and most vesafb modes.
Added support for the RandR TILE property added in RandR 1.5.
Raised the on-disk OpenGL shader cache size from 64MB to 128MB. Refer to the "Specifying OpenGL Environment Variable Settings" section of the driver README for details on how to select its location or disable it.
Fixed a bug in synchronization primitives shared between X and OpenGL.
Added support for X.Org xserver ABI 23 (xorg-server 1.19)
Fixed a bug that allowed nvidia-installer to attempt loading kernel modules that were built against non-running kernels.

I haven’t tested it myself yet.

Please let me know whether any of you are successful with the latest driver.

Hi,

I just installed the 375.20 driver. The “Allow G-SYNC” and “Enable G-SYNC Visual Indicator” options are now available in nvidia-settings. Yay! \o/

I checked both, and could see the visual indicator showing either “G-SYNC” or “Normal” in the upper right corner of the screen.

But now, I need something to test with… The NVIDIA pendulum demo is Windows-only. I have Alien Isolation, but my computer may be powerful enough to run the game smoothly with just vsync…

By the way, is it still needed to disable the desktop compositor before playing a game with G-SYNC?
I tried both (compositor enabled and disabled) and the “G-SYNC” visual indicator appears when running in fullscreen.

Anyway, thank you Aaron.

I know that on windows, vsync should be enabled when using g-sync, it should automatically make use of g-sync.

I could be wrong though… You could disable g-sync and g-sync, check for tearing, then enable g-sync and leave g-sync disabled, and then check again. That way eliminating what needs enabling or not.

I am on a Ubuntu distro and prefer stability so I am bound to wait until it comes available with the next release.

I hope it is of help for you

If you see the green “G-SYNC” text with the visual indicator, then it means that G-SYNC is working. If you see “NORMAL” then it means it’s flipping, but not using G-SYNC. If no indicator shows up, then it’s blitting. Applications will fall back to blitting if your compositor is redirecting the window, so seeing the green “G-SYNC” text means that your compositor unredirected the window properly when it detected that it’s fullscreen.

The vsync option controls what happens when your application renders faster than the display mode’s maximum refresh rate. When it’s enabled, the GPU will wait for the next available time to display the frame, preventing tearing but adding some slight stutter. When it’s disabled, it’ll tear. Honestly, at high refresh rates the stutter from vsync is too imperceptible for me to notice (1 sec / 144 Hz = approx. 7 ms) whereas the tearing is immediately obvious. But that’s a matter of personal preference.

It’s also useful to note that the refresh rate reported in nvidia-settings and via RandR tools is the maximum you’ll get when G-SYNC is active. Some monitors support multiple modes with different refresh rates, and default to 60 Hz even if they can go higher than that. You’ll want to switch to a higher refresh rate mode before playing a game, especially if you have vsync disabled.

I think this issue resolved with 375.20 driver . Its good to close this thread.