Ganged mode does not work with HDMI input via CSI

Hi

I’m trying to get my custom HDMI2CSI adapter board for the Xavier to run and have trouble with the ganged mode. The adapter board is based on the tc358840 chip from Toshiba and works just fine with the TX2. I am using an adapter for the camera connector, therefore the pin assignment should not be a problem.

The HDMI2CSI adapter features 2 HDMI inputs. One input supports 4K and the other just 1080p. Because of the tc358840, the 4K input needs 4 CSI ports and therefore the ganged mode. The 4K input works as intended as long as only a 1080p input is used. As soon as a 4K source gets attached, the vi starts to discarding the frames and indicates that a short line has been received.

[ 2900.507345] tegra194-vi5 15c10000.vi: corr_err: discarding frame 0, flags: 0, err_data 512
CHANSEL_FAULT channel:0x23 frame:0 vi_tstamp:90993963717 data:0x00000200

I have the following port binding in the device tree:

port@0 {
    ret = <0>;
    hdmi2csi_tc358840_out0: endpoint {
        // csi-port = <0>;
        port-index = <0>;
        bus-width = <8>;
        remote-endpoint = <&hdmi2csi_csi_in0>;
    };
};
nvcsi@15a00000 {
	num-channels = <2>;
	#address-cells = <1>;
	#size-cells = <0>;
	channel@0 {
		status = "okay";
		reg = <0>;
		discontinuous_clk = "no";
		ports {
			#address-cells = <1>;
			#size-cells = <0>;
			port@0 {
				status = "okay";
				reg = <0>;
				hdmi2csi_csi_in0: endpoint@0 {
					status = "okay";
					// csi-port = <0>;
					port-index = <0>;
					bus-width = <8>;
					remote-endpoint = <&hdmi2csi_tc358840_out0>;
				};
			};
			port@1 {
				status = "okay";
				reg = <1>;
				hdmi2csi_csi_out0: endpoint@1 {
					status = "okay";
					remote-endpoint = <&hdmi2csi_vi_in0>;
				};
			};
		};
	};
vi@15c10000 {
	num-channels = <2>;
	ports {
		#address-cells = <1>;
		#size-cells = <0>;
		port@0 {
			status = "okay";
			reg = <0>;
			hdmi2csi_vi_in0: endpoint {
				status = "okay";
				// csi-port = <0>;
				port-index =<0>;
				bus-width = <8>;
				remote-endpoint = <&hdmi2csi_csi_out0>;
			};
		};

This port binding worked with the TX2. Because the Xavier has the same structure up to port D, I assume that this should still work.

Regarding the signals, I have tested the communication with the tc358840 which works without any problems. Furthermore, I have checked the CSI signal on all ports by probing. The clock for the ports C and D looks good, but only if I’m trying to capture the video the first time after booting. Afterwards, the clock looks odd as there would be some reflections. I guess that’s due to a wrong configuration of the port and is not related to a hardware problem.

In the file csi5_fops.c I found the following function that sets up the CSI ports combined with the lanes. I would expect, that the port 0 (A) and the port 2 (C) are getting activated with four lanes each. That’s also the observation I made on the TX2 within the csi4_fops.c. The port in the csi5_fops.c is hard coded to the index 0 as you can see on line 5. The result is, that the function is called twice setting up the same port. The parameter port_idx is unused, so I tried to use it on line 5 to set up both the port 0 and 2. As a result, the correct ports are used in this function. However, the result stays exactly the same.

static int csi5_start_streaming(struct tegra_csi_channel *chan, int port_idx)
{
	int err = 0, num_lanes;
	struct tegra_csi_device *csi = chan->csi;
	struct tegra_csi_port *port = &chan->ports[0];
	u32 csi_pt, st_id, vc_id;

if (chan->pg_mode) {
		csi_pt = NVCSI_PORT_UNSPECIFIED;
		st_id = port->stream_id;
	} else {
		csi_pt = port->csi_port;
		st_id = csi5_port_to_stream(port->csi_port);
	}
	vc_id = port->virtual_channel_id;
	num_lanes = port->lanes;

dev_dbg(csi->dev, "%s: csi_pt=%u, st_id=%u, vc_id=%u, pg_mode=0x%x\n",
		__func__, csi_pt, st_id, vc_id, chan->pg_mode);

if (!chan->pg_mode)
		csi5_stream_set_config(chan, st_id, csi_pt, num_lanes);

csi5_stream_open(chan, st_id, csi_pt);

if (chan->pg_mode) {
		err = csi5_stream_tpg_start(chan, st_id, vc_id);
		if (err)
			return err;
	}

return err;
}

Do you have any information about how the ganged mode works in the newest release? Is it even supported with the newest version of the CSI and VI?

I am using L4t-r32.2.1. Furthermore I want to mention, that due to the HDMI input no modes are available.

hello wesr,

tc358840 chip should have test-pattern-generator, could you please enable that for checking the connections and port bindings.

BTW,
since Xavier have improve CSI, I’m wondering you still need to enable gang mode to merge 8-lanes on Xavier.
please refer to [Table 7.17 NVCSI Summary of Changes (v1.0 to v2.0)] for CSI capability.
thanks

1. I have measured the CSI input on all lanes, which seems to be right. The board also runs fine on the TX2, so I don’t think, that there will be an advantage by using the test-pattern-generator.

2. The gang mode is necessary because the tc358840 only supports 4K with 8 lanes. Therefore I can’t reduce the number of lanes even if the Xavier could handle 4K with four lanes.

Can you confirm, that it is still possible to combine 8 lanes with the gang mode? Do I have to do anything more than defining the ports the right way in the device tree? With the TX2 this was enough to get it running on 8 lanes.

thanks

hello wesr,

it should be internal bugs since we don’t validate TC358840 4K-mode with 8-lanes (gang mode) on Xavier platforms.
we could investigate this internally, but please expect this might having slow process.
thanks

hello wesr,

Multi-brick streams (i.e. gang mode) is NOT implemented for Xavier’s VI drivers.
please achieve 4K input resolutions by using an HDMI bridge that can output that in four D-Phy lanes.
thanks

Hi @JerryChang :
May I to know which document is you metion [Table 7.17 NVCSI Summary of Changes (v1.0 to v2.0) parts?

hello SammyChenTw,

it’s Xavier Series SoC Technical Reference Manual,
please refer to page-668, the table index has changed to Table 7.7,
thanks

Dear @JerryChang ,

As the gang mode was tested in TX2, would it be available in TX2 NX as well?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Khang.

hello khang.l4es,

TX2 NX it’s sharing the same code flow as TX2.
so, it should works if you’re having a simple use-case, and ​without using any types of interlaced modes.
for example, the left-right or top-bottom gang modes.

BTW, since this topic has been mark as solved,
please have a try and you should initial another new discussion for further supports.
thanks