GdbServerReceiver: run-as: Package 'xxx' is unknown

I used to debug my NDK application properly using Android NDK application option provided by tegra toolkit,

But suddenly it started throwing the below error,

GdbServerReceiver: run-as: Package ‘xxx’ is unknown
followed by,

NDK: Gdbserver not started properly
NDK: Launch error: Failed to connect to remote VM

The Device used is same as the earlier one in which it was working, any idea how to solve this?

Thanks

if you use the Eclipse, you need set debug configuration. at the first time you start a debug, Eclipse would generate a default configuration for you.

as your problem. you can change GDB server to APK Bundle not System at debug Configuration>debugger>GDBServer Settings

Hi,

Thanks for replying, i had done all that, it was working before,

It has stopped now, tried all possible things, it still shows the same…

Thank you.

by chance did you upgrade to Android 4.3? IE Jellybean MR2.

There is a known bug Google is working to fix where they changed the permissions on the packages.list and it is now no longer accessible to run-as.
If this sounds to you like your bug, sorry there is no fix from Google yet.
The only known work arounds are either

1. root your device so that you can file permission
  2. flash back to Android 4.2

dhorowitz, thx! I threw away one day just because of this. Downgrade did make the job, even though that is not satisfying.
One of my tries was to root the device (nexus7) and as root in the shell(using ‘su’) you had (obviously) access to the packages.list and run-as did work as intended. But I didn’t know how to get the n7 to permanent root-mode, so run-as is executed as root by eclipse.
Whatever for now it is fine for me.

Thx again, that I could finish the day with a ‘success’ (getting things to work, which already did work :D )

I just downloaded and installed the TADP r6 to get started developing on the Shield and I am getting the following error when debugging one of the sample apps.

Failed to attach: Failed to start debug server on device: run-as: Package ‘com.nvidia.InstancedTessellation’ is unknown.

I just received emails from NVidia this week with notifications to update my Shield and to download the new TADP r6 but nothing was indicated that you cannot do any development with Jellybean 4.3!

I have the commercial version of the Shield. What options do I have to start developing?

Has Google not fixed the problem yet? It’s been several months since that Gdbserver issue was found.

I am using VS 2010/2012.