I am developing an application to visualize particles. I use C++, Qt5, OpenGL Point Sprites and pure 4.3 Core Profile, which means that I use GLSL.
I create a VAO, but when I try allocating more than 2GB (a looot of particles) to a GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, in my computer at work, which has a Geforce GTX TITAN, the result is that the visualization window shows only one particle. It compiles with no errors and the glGetBufferParameteri64v returns a correct value. The interaction speed is the same as if all the particles (a looot) were visualized, but I totally cannot see them.
At home, I’ve got a Geforce GTX 680 with 2 GB and if I actually try to allocate more than 2 GB, I get no error and it works somehow anyway. Though I am not sure that I am visualizing all the particles for real.
Same OS (Ubuntu 12.04), same kernel (3.8.0-29 x86_64 SMP) , same driver (331.20), same library versions, same compiler versions, same EVERYTHING on the software side.
The only difference is that at work I’ve got a HP Z820 Workstation with 64 GB RAM and 8 Xeon E5-2643 and an additional Tesla K20c, while at home I’ve got a i7 3770K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Z77 Chipset and no other GPU cards.