GPU Card Attributes Table?

Is there somewhere a table of the various GPUs, and their attributes that would be of interest to someone who is interested ONLY in CUDA development, and would like to buy a card for development & testing?

I’ve looked at the stuff on NVidia’s website, but what I’ve seen is mostly gamer-oriented, and not a side-by-side comparison. That is, I can see a list of about 50 GeForce chipsets with some non-obvious combination of letters and numbers, and look at specifications for say GeForce GTX 480. But I can’t easily see how that compares to GeForce 8800 GTX, or any of the other 48 variations.

Also, the specifications have lots of information that’s of no interest to me - should I care if it does DirectX, when I run Linux? - and lacks some pretty important stuff such as idle power use, fan noise level, etc.

Thanks,
James

You can find the information by combining appendices A and G of the Programming Guide.

You can find the information by combining appendices A and G of the Programming Guide.

For comparing shader counts and frequencies, I often use this table. Compute capabilities are as tera mentioned, in the programming guide for up to compute 2.0. As far as we know, the compute 2.1 differences are 48 SPs per SM and the different simultaneous scheduling to keep the extra 16 SPs busy when possible.

For comparing shader counts and frequencies, I often use this table. Compute capabilities are as tera mentioned, in the programming guide for up to compute 2.0. As far as we know, the compute 2.1 differences are 48 SPs per SM and the different simultaneous scheduling to keep the extra 16 SPs busy when possible.

Thanks. That’s useful stuff. However, it doesn’t cover what I might call the human usability factors, like power draw and noise levels, that I’d like to know before buying something that I’m going to be using for development. 400 watts and the noise level of a vacuum cleaner may be OK in a data center, but not sitting in close proximity to my desk :-)

Thanks. That’s useful stuff. However, it doesn’t cover what I might call the human usability factors, like power draw and noise levels, that I’d like to know before buying something that I’m going to be using for development. 400 watts and the noise level of a vacuum cleaner may be OK in a data center, but not sitting in close proximity to my desk :-)

Unfortunately, noise level (and to a lesser extent, power draw) depend on the individual card manufacturers and models. The cooling system is one of the few places that graphics card manufacturers try to distinguish themselves (since they all use the same chips), so you can get a lot of variability. Power draw is more or less fixed, although factory overclock will change that as well.

You really have to go to hardware review sites (like Anandtech) to get decent measures of noise levels for specific cards.

Unfortunately, noise level (and to a lesser extent, power draw) depend on the individual card manufacturers and models. The cooling system is one of the few places that graphics card manufacturers try to distinguish themselves (since they all use the same chips), so you can get a lot of variability. Power draw is more or less fixed, although factory overclock will change that as well.

You really have to go to hardware review sites (like Anandtech) to get decent measures of noise levels for specific cards.

Neat, thanks!

Neat, thanks!