I am having issues with the nvidia drivers on my Dell 7740 with Quadro RTX 5000 Mobile and Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile). I have had this issue occur on both of my active installations of ubuntu 19 and 20. I just repeated the issue with a fresh installation of ubuntu 20. Steps:
- Install ubuntu 20.04
- Install current recommended nvidia drivers (sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-455)
- launch nvidia xserver
- switch to power saving mode
After rebooting, it appears as though my computer does not recognize the gpu anymore.
- nvidia xserver will launch but is blank. (https://superuser.com/questions/1394120/nvidia-x-server-settings-is-displaying-empty-window)
- nvidia-smi can’t connect: ‘NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.’ "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver" Ubuntu 16.04
- lspci | grep -i nvidia: returns no results
- ubuntu-drivers devices: returns no results
I have searched around a good bit and tried various things, but every other description I have seen of similar blank nvidia xservers still detect their hardware etc, and nothing I have tried on either of the installations (blacklist files, uninstall/reinstall drivers) helped. Any advice?