GPU hardware recommendation for DeepStream SDK 6.4

Hi, I would like to use the latest DeepStream SDK release 6.4 and I have a question about the hardware that I need.

I already have the following system: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen9, model 20XX-SDM500. CPU: Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80 GHz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors. RAM: 32GB.

Now, having a budget of $1000, I was thinking to get an external GPU (eGPU) compatible with DeepStream SDK 6.4. According to the Quickstart Guide I need one of the following GPU platforms: T4, V100, A2, A10, A30, A100, RTX Ampere (Ax000/RTX30x0), Hopper, ADA.
Plus the eGPU enclosure that is bought separately.

Assuming that I connect the card to my laptop using a Thunderbolt interface cable, will I be able to run DeepStream pipelines for Deep Learning tasks (mainly inference, no training)? No gaming or heavy rendering required.

With my budget, would you rather get a new system that comes with a compatible NVIDIA card already, or go for the eGPU option + my current system? Thanks.

1 Like

It is not recommended to run DeepStream on laptop. If you insist on it, you may try the GeForce GPUs. Accelerating Machine Learning on a Linux Laptop with an External GPU | NVIDIA Technical Blog. DeepStream is not verified on GeForce GPUs, but some users have tried and DeepStream can run. We do not guarantee there is no problem with GeForce cards.

Thank you @Fiona.Chen for the reply.

If DeepStream is not officially verified to run on laptops and GeForce GPUs, on what platforms is DeepStream verified as of 2024 and the foreseeable future?

Apart from Jetson Nano, in the Quickstart Guide I can also see a list of dGPUs in the second table.

Thanks for your linked article, too. It is from 2020 but it contains valuable information for running a setup with an eGPU. I will continue investigating my options with a budget of $1000 or slightly more. Thanks in advance for any further suggestion in this regard.

There is no update from you for a period, assuming this is not an issue anymore. Hence we are closing this topic. If need further support, please open a new one. Thanks

These GPUs have been verified. Quickstart Guide — DeepStream documentation 6.4 documentation (nvidia.com)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.