GPU interaction from container without drivers in host

Hi,

Our application is running in an OS called BalenaOS, that only allows applications to run from containers (without modifying the host OS)… The OS allows to run containers but we cannot install stuff like the “Nvidia drivers”, “nvidia-docker” or “nvidia-container-runtime”… BalenaOS has some implementations for Jetson Devices, but not for the usage of an external GPU.

So, as you can see we are pretty limited in regards to the GPU usage…

We manage to build the drivers independently and load them from the container, but we lost tools like “nvidia-smi” or the creation of the “/dev/nvidia*” entries…

Is there a workaround available for this where we can configure everything required to interact with the GPU from a container alone?

I understand that this question is a pretty exceptional case (and I do not even know if it’s possible), but I know some people that are having same issues within the BalenaOS community…

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@eebf1993 I am having exactly the same issue and trying to find a workaround for externally the usage of GPU in Jetson Nano using Balena OS. Have you found any workaround on this?

By the way, is there any work happening for external usage of GPU on Nvidia devices using Balena OS? @jetsonnvidia