Grinch kernel flash failed: Read-only filesystem

Hello,

I’ve been trying to flash my Jetson TK1 with the Grinch kernel in order to enable USB WiFi support. All of the steps in the instructions (https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/766303/embedded-systems/-customkernel-the-grinch-19-3-7-for-jetson-tk1/) work perfectly until the last command:

sudo ./flash.sh -S 14580MiB jetson-tk1 mmcblk0p1

This fails with a string of “tar:” - prefixed messages during the “building system.img” stage, all of which complain about a “read-only filesystem” which seems to be preventing various operations such as setting file permissions, adding/removing symlinks, etc.

Since the script hasn’t even finished making system.img, I assume that the errors are talking about the filesystem on my host machine. (It’s a Raspberry Pi). I am, however, using a 32GB USB flash drive to store the files for flashing, which is mounted to the /media directory. It is formatted as ext4.

Do these errors mean that the flash drive has suddenly turned read-only? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Interestingly, after the script has tried to flash the Jetson and failed, commands such as ‘ls’ do not work in the flash drive’s directory. They trigger a message saying that there was a read/write error. However, if I back out of the flash drive using ‘cd …/…’, and then cd back into it, ‘ls’ works fine.

Some of those scripts in flash.sh end up executing x86 linux binaries…running on RPi should fail when hitting the binaries, it isn’t x86. I suspect that part of what goes on allowed you to get where you were and then the side-effects of failed x86 binaries caused this. It’s possible that the failed return value said it was a read-only error when in fact it was an executable failure.

Thanks! That sounds like the problem. I’ll try it on a VM on my x86 Windows machine, or maybe boot it from a USB drive with Ubuntu on it.

Beware that permissions and device special files must be preserved…not possible on a non-linux file system (NTFS will guarantee a failed flash). If you use a VM pick a native linux underlying file system like ext4.

Yeah, I’ve ran into that problem before. I’ll make sure I use ext4.