GTC 2020: NVIDIA Marbles RTX

GTC 2020 D2S38
Presenters: Tech Demo Team,NVIDIA
Abstract
During the GTC 2020 virtual keynote, NVIDIA CEO and founder Jensen Huang showcased a piece created by NVIDIA to illustrate the power of #RTX on the Omniverse Platform. Marbles was created by a distributed team of artists and engineers in Omniverse, assembling VFX+ quality assets into a fully physically simulated game level. There was no sacrifice to quality and fidelity that typically results from “gamifying” art assets to run in real-time. Marbles runs on a single Quadro RTX 8000 simulating complex physics in a real-time ray traced world.

Learn more about the NVIDIA Omniverse Platform: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-omniverse-platform
Watch the entire GTC 2020 keynote: Keynote by NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang | GTC 2022 | NVIDIA

Watch this session
Join in the conversation below.

1 Like

Will you release this demo publicly? Lots of people wanna play with it.

1 Like

Same. Where to download it?

Why is the shadow of the marble not refracting light?

Still not released.

I want to download it so much… But I dont know if my 2080Ti will be enough…

I’ve downloaded the demo from the Omniverse, but I get this error:

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Driver Version: 466.27 | Graphics API: D3D12
|=============================================================================================|
| GPU | Name | Active | LDA | GPU Memory | Vendor-ID | LUID |
| | | | | | Device-ID | UUID |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 0 | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER | | | 8031 MB | 10de | d6070000… |
| | | | | | 1f06 | 0 |
|=============================================================================================|
| OS: Windows, Version: 10.0 (20H2), Build: 19042
| Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz | Cores: 8 | Logical: 16
| Total Memory (MB): 65465 | Free Memory: 54827
| Total Page/Swap (MB): 75193 | Free Page/Swap: 59952
2021-05-07 00:12:39 [712ms] [Error] [gpu.foundation.plugin] No device could be created.

Oh looking at the log file I see why:

C:/Users/me/.nvidia-omniverse/logs/Kit/omni.app.marbles/2021.1/kit_20210506_171239.log

2021-05-07 00:21:50 [708ms] [Warning] [gpu.foundation.plugin] Skipping GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER with 8031 MB of GPU memory. Requested min 11000 of GPU memory

Looks like the docs are wrong as it says marbles demo will work with any RTX card but it seems to have a min memory requirement of 11GB.

The minimum video memory requirement can be changed in:

C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\ov\pkg\marbles_rtx-2021.1.5_build\windows-x86_64\release\apps\omni.app.marbles.kit

you should find renderer.minGpuMemoryMB = 11000 on line 37

Lowering the minimum should allow the application to run on something like a RTX 3080 or 3070, but I can’t guarantee that you would get at least reasonable performance, nor can I test it for you because I only have a RTX 3090.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Can some one paste link to download it? Or maybe private share?

Yes updating that kit file worked! Thanks Dusty! It runs dog slow on my RTX 2060 Super though. That extra 3GB of memory must really help. Konrad, you can download the marbles demo by installing NVIDIA Omniverse and installing the Marbles RTX app.

1 Like

i have RTX 3080 i5 9600 and 32 GB of Ram and the game does not exceed 12 FPS in 3440 x 1440 and 1080p max 20fps min 7fps.

How can open this file? If I open it via doubleclick it crashes

if windows: right click, ‘open with’ and select notepad. once edited, save, exit and try run marbles again. Worked for me after changing value to 10000 for my 3080 so thanks to the author. Beautiful tech; to think that quality will be mainstream in years to come, wow

on a RTX2080 setting it to 720p it kind of runs but is no where near 60FPS wondering why there are no dynamic lights considering its a raytracing demo. Isn’t that the whole point??? Setting the ball on fire has the effect of adding a light but its not raytracing the fire. Is this just me? Any how Impressive demo maybe If I had a 3080 it would run as intended.

Thanks Dusty, it worked for me, I have the Rtx 2080, I had to bring it down to 7000

1 Like

tried today but i loads only to the instructions screen but pressing any button doesnt doo anyhthing it just stays ther in the instructions screen forever

Okay i finally figured it out. its working now.