After going from nouveau to nvidia drivers (which I will never do again after this point), my primary monitor is fine but the second monitor is at a lower resolution. When originally using the default nouveau drivers out of the box, the resolutions were as expected. In playing around with nvidia, I tried to go back to nouveau and ended up with the second monitor not receiving input with xorg logs complaining about EDID errors. Went back to nvidia drivers as I have at least a working monitor (though low resolution).
I am also having difficulty using nvidia-xconfig in so much that when I run it, log out, then log back in or reboot, the sad screen of “Oh no! Something has gone wrong” comes up. The only thing I have found to remedy this with my limited knowledge is a complete uninstall, reboot, and reinstall of the nvidia drivers and a rebuild of the initramfs. So I guess I technically don’t have an xorg.conf file?
Anyway, all I want at this point in time in Fedora 24 is 2 working monitors both at 1920x1080 resolution. If someone can figure out the nouveau issues, then awesome. If someone can figure out the nvidia issues, awesome. In either case, I just want to go back to 2 fully working monitors.
I am quite convinced at this point the issue is specific to the driver and how it interacts with the card for the following reasons:
- The monitor works fine in Windows
- Originally without tampering, nouveau could display on both monitors fine
- The nvidia installer/driver directly from their site has the same issue, but the max resolution is 640x480 on the second monitor
- Reinstalling the nouveau driver causes onlining of the second monitor to fail with EDID errors (which I can get if need be, it will just require uprooting everything so be patient)
- The 1024x768 resolution is seen only with the repofusion nvidia module
EDIT Accidentally linked the System Info pastebin twice