GTX1050ti (Mobile) not detected in Pop!_OS 21.04 - Driver 470

Good afternoon, in need of some help resolving why I cannot get the NVIDIA GPU working on this laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567) configured with Intel HD 630 and NVIDIA GTX1050ti.

I had taken the SSD from my other laptop running an older 760M GPU, after installing it in this machine I had run ‘apt update’ and ‘apt upgrade’ to ensure the correct driver would be installed, it automatically installed driver version 470 but I’m unable to get it to work (was on 390 for the 760M). Since then I’ve also run ‘Refresh OS’ which also has automatically installed driver version 470 - but still no luck.

lspci output:

user@pop-os /> lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 (rev 04)

Attempt to install nvidia-prime results in the following:

user@pop-os /> sudo apt install nvidia-prime
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  fd-find gnome-shell-extension-appindicator gnome-shell-extension-cosmic-dock gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng gtk2-engines-murrine libqalculate21 libqalculate21-data pop-cosmic pop-gnome-shell-theme
  pop-gtk-theme pop-icon-theme pop-launcher pop-shell pop-shell-shortcuts pop-sound-theme pop-theme qalc xwayland
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-shell-extension-system76-power pop-default-settings pop-desktop pop-session pop-shell-plugin-system76-power system76-power
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nvidia-prime
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  pop-desktop pop-session (due to pop-desktop) pop-default-settings (due to pop-desktop)
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 6 to remove and 14 not to upgrade.
Need to get 9,136 B of archives.
After this operation, 2,757 kB disk space will be freed.
This operation is not permitted because it will break the system.
Abort.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (145.8 KB)

Appreciate any help!

There’s no sign of any nvidia gpu built into the notebook. Please check the bios settings if it’s disabled. Otherwise, Dell has forgotten to it.;)

Yikes! I checked the service tag and was definitely part of the system in terms of the parts allocated. I bought the system second hand and the seller was oblivious to the discrete gpu.

What makes me think there is the NVIDIA gpu present is the fact the HDMI doesn’t work to my external monitor - if it were just the Intel integrated then it should automatically pass video through whereas my experience with dual gpu laptops is that the HDMI won’t work until the secondary GPU is activated… at least that’s my optimistic line of thinking.

I’ll try doing a BIOS update - there was no setting available to toggle GPU modes. Failing that I’ll maybe test out windows to see if any evidence to the contra can be found. Thanks generix for looking into it - I’ll be back once I know more :)

Seems like my laptop may be suffering from the same issue detailed in this thread relating to the power circuit for the NVIDIA GPU:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?s=777c9ac18ff2ba93a8f9c44fcf5fd3f8&t=81418&page=2

Reason is that it also has ACPI BIOS ERROR when trying to install Windows. I’ll be back at a later date if I ever work up the courage to do some soldering :S

You might also contact dell, if you ask nicely enough they might send you a replacement mainboard for a bargain if still in stock.

1 Like